digging

moorealanna1

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi I was wondering if it’s normal form myvrussian tortoise to dig pretty far down at night i assume to sleep for the night

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, russians will burrow, dig down to try and dig out and they are also a species that will dig in to hibernate.
If you don't want it to hibernate be sure to keep temps at night around 70, brightly lite during the day with day temps 75-80 with basking 95-100.
If you want it to hibernated then prep work needs to he done. They need to not eat for a couple weeks to empty their gut and then placed in a temps controlled area.
Others can help more with hibernation/brumating.

moorealanna1

PA
Yes, russians will burrow, dig down to try and dig out and they are also a species that will dig in to hibernate.
If you don't want it to hibernate be sure to keep temps at night around 70, brightly lite during the day with day temps 75-80 with basking 95-100.
If you want it to hibernated then prep work needs to he done. They need to not eat for a couple weeks to empty their gut and then placed in a temps controlled area.
Others can help more with hibernation/brumating.
Oh okay should i get a night heat lamp once it’s starts to get under 70 degrees at night

moorealanna1

PA
If it will get that low inside where he is. Use a che(ceramic heat emitter), gives off heat but no light.
Okay! So I have a UV lamp and a basking lamp for him should i get a third lamp to just put on top at night with the CHE, when it starts getting chilly?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do not want light at night.
If it gets below 70 then use the che or two if it gets really cold.

moorealanna1

PA
You do not want light at night.
If it gets below 70 then use the che or two if it gets really cold.
Gotcha! the one i was looking at was just the che bulb so i meant in addition to my two other lamps should i get an additional one for the che bulb and use that at night? also should i keep that bulb on the side where his basking light normally is? sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure he’s all good :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not quite understanding what you are asking.
I would have the basking light and the uvb light near each other. I would put the che near the end he usually sleeps.
If the day temps without the che is too cold then turn the che on during the day too. Then at night turn lights off but che is left on. If it's still to cold at night, add another che.
Hope that helps.