Digital UV Radiometer (Solarmaster)

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi,

I have a long LED UVB light in my RT pen, which I've seem to have had a long time. How often are you to change it? My Digital reading in 6.0, and my RT is in her pen most of the time buried. I have extras to replace this one with if necessary, but of course there is still light.

Thank you in advance,

Cheryl
Mom to Yoshi2019 06 13_113601.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LED bulbs don't produce UV. At least none on the market that I've seen yet.

What you have there in the picture is a florescent HO UV tube. Looks like an Arcadia maybe?

You have discovered the value of having a UV meter. Solarmeter is the brand, and you have the 6.5 model. Some people replace their UV tubes every six months at a cost of $30-50 plus tax, plus shipping, and then proclaim that a UV meter costs too much. Even with just one UV bulb, the meter pays for itself. I have UV tubes that have been running for three years and still do not need replacement. I only know this because of my UV meter.

A UVI reading of 6.0 is very high. That is close to mid day summer sun. Mid June gives me the highest readings here and I just stepped outside and got a reading of 7.2 right now at 1:22 pm. I would only run that tube for about 3 hours mid day on a timer. Your tortoise might be hiding all the time because its too "sunny". It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a LED strip in there to run all day long for light, and just set the HO tube on its own timer for 3 hours mid day to simulate the mid day UV spike that happens outside every day. That is what I do. Plus a flood bulb for basking heat.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
LED bulbs don't produce UV. At least none on the market that I've seen yet.

What you have there in the picture is a florescent HO UV tube. Looks like an Arcadia maybe?

You have discovered the value of having a UV meter. Solarmeter is the brand, and you have the 6.5 model. Some people replace their UV tubes every six months at a cost of $30-50 plus tax, plus shipping, and then proclaim that a UV meter costs too much. Even with just one UV bulb, the meter pays for itself. I have UV tubes that have been running for three years and still do not need replacement. I only know this because of my UV meter.

A UVI reading of 6.0 is very high. That is close to mid day summer sun. Mid June gives me the highest readings here and I just stepped outside and got a reading of 7.2 right now at 1:22 pm. I would only run that tube for about 3 hours mid day on a timer. Your tortoise might be hiding all the time because its too "sunny". It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a LED strip in there to run all day long for light, and just set the HO tube on its own timer for 3 hours mid day to simulate the mid day UV spike that happens outside every day. That is what I do. Plus a flood bulb for basking heat.

Hi Tom,
Yes, it is an Arcadia. It's the tube that you had recommended for me to get awhile back. Thank you again. I will definitely get a light that just admits light for Yoshi, I've been leaving the tube light on for 12 hours per day. Didn't know I was doing it wrong. Also, I had taken her to the Vet last week for her annual check-up and he says she's doing well except for a few peeling spots on the top of her shell that seems to be what he calls hot spots. I'm to watch for infection. He says I may have my basking light too low, so I raised it up a few inches and am watching her shell. She's also getting outside more often now that it's summer'ish. She loves it, but is a fast little cookie and keeps us on our toes when she's in the back yard, chasing her around ha ha.

Thank you so much for your expertise and I hope you have a great weekend!

Cheryl

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She's also getting outside more often now that it's summer'ish. She loves it, but is a fast little cookie and keeps us on our toes when she's in the back yard, chasing her around ha ha.
Make a secure enclosure outside for her. Or one day...