Do I replace substrate gradually or all at once?

Location (City and/or State)
northern ireland
Finally found some orchid bark with no chemicals used in it ? I want to ask, do I just replace his substrate all at once or do I do it bit by bit? Because he’s been on his current substrate his whole life and I wouldn't want to stress him out as I know they hate change.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Do it whichever way you think it will go the best for him. I think most keepers just go ahead and change it, but you know your tort. He probably will be stressed if it's a big change in feel to him. Do what you think is best.

Reactions: ISU
northern ireland
Finally found some orchid bark with no chemicals used in it ? I want to ask, do I just replace his substrate all at once or do I do it bit by bit? Because he’s been on his current substrate his whole life and I wouldn't want to stress him out as I know they hate change.
Do it whichever way you think it will go the best for him. I think most keepers just go ahead and change it, but you know your tort. He probably will be stressed if it's a big change in feel to him. Do what you think is best.
alright, thank you! I decided to introduce him to it in his play pen first, then I put half of it in his enclosure and kept half of his old substrate. He hasn’t gone near the old substrate, he loves the orchid bark ?