Do Tortoises Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I have had my
Tortoise for a year and a half and not smelled him once... Maybe the dirt from his enclosure when I get it wet. In very picky about smells also so I can understand where your family is coming from :) my Russian doesn't smell

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I think the idea is, a tortoise does not smell, a dirty enclosure will smell depending on how dirty it gets. Keeping FRESH food and Clean water will keep smells down. If the tortoise does smell, something is definitively wrong and need to be dealt with immediately

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Let's put it this way. Any living thing that is not taken care of properly with proper hygiene and lives in a clean environment (This go's for humans, too, obviously!) will smell. Reverse that, take care of them and their enclosure and that equals, not smelling.

Some sultrates are a bit musky. Some are a bit fragrant in nice ways. It depends on which one, but it's certainly not a "stinky" smell.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Nixxy said:
Let's put it this way. Any living thing that is not taken care of properly with proper hygiene and lives in a clean environment (This go's for humans, too, obviously!) will smell. Reverse that, take care of them and their enclosure and that equals, not smelling.

Some sultrates are a bit musky. Some are a bit fragrant in nice ways. It depends on which one, but it's certainly not a "stinky" smell.

Well said. For another example, well taken care of aquariums have a wonderful scent; it's just the neglected ones that small bad.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Despite my turtle being a "stinkpot", I must say, her aquarium is kept quite pristine and never smells.

A little care, a lot of love, and a nice filter do wonders. :p

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Nixxy said:
Despite my turtle being a "stinkpot", I must say, her aquarium is kept quite pristine and never smells.

A little care, a lot of love, and a nice filter do wonders. :p

XD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't very often have habitats in the house, but on occasion, when I do, the only thing I can smell about it is the moist substrate. It has an earthy smell, like fresh soil.

You just have to clean up after the tortoise...keep uneaten food picked up and spot clean any feces you find in the habitat.

But, better still...make an outdoor habitat and keep the tortoise outside. Much better all the way around!

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
The enclosure can stink to high heaven if it's not kept clean. When Neenyo was moved into my house by son's ex-GF, it practically gagged me, and Neenyo was still a baby but already pyramiding.

Now that I have him and keep his enclosure clean, there's no smell, except when he poops. I grab it out of there with tissue right away.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
The tortoise itself does not smell.

Although I have a Sulcata and that thing can lay some huge mud monkeys for its size. As long as you pick up the fudge dragons on a regular basis (like a dog), there should be no constant stink.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tortoises themselves have no smell. Like Yvonne said, I get a pleasant "earthy" smell from my substrate, but this is no different than a smell from a potted plant in the house. I like it. Now on occasion when I slide the door open on the leopard enclosure, one of them will have made a large deposit. I can smell this, but I remove it with a paper towel and the smell disapears within a few minutes. I notice the difference, but it is really not bad even when contained in a warm humid closed chamber.

Bearded dragons are about the worst smelling reptile pet I can think of. And they really aren't that bad either. If mom is okay with them, then she won't even know there is a tortoise there.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:
The tortoises themselves have no smell. Like Yvonne said, I get a pleasant "earthy" smell from my substrate, but this is no different than a smell from a potted plant in the house. I like it. Now on occasion when I slide the door open on the leopard enclosure, one of them will have made a large deposit. I can smell this, but I remove it with a paper towel and the smell disapears within a few minutes. I notice the difference, but it is really not bad even when contained in a warm humid closed chamber.

Bearded dragons are about the worst smelling reptile pet I can think of. And they really aren't that bad either. If mom is okay with them, then she won't even know there is a tortoise there.

lol my beardies smell ok, i guess i am used to it so i don't notice, i clean their cage every week maybe 2 times a week depending on how much i feed them XD

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ethan D said:
Tom said:

lol my beardies smell ok, i guess i am used to it so i don't notice, i clean their cage every week maybe 2 times a week depending on how much i feed them XD

Right. So if your family can tolerate beardies, the worst tortoise smell in the world is a tiny fraction of that.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Another note, they are certainly less "stinky" than a dog or cat, in many ways.

No wet dog smell. No literboxes. :D

Their poop doesn't really generally stink..they are mostly herbivores, and it's not really an issue. Compare it to dog or cat poo, which has quite an awful odor.

I'll be honest.

They smell less than some of my relatives.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Nixxy said:
Another note, they are certainly less "stinky" than a dog or cat, in many ways.

No wet dog smell. No literboxes. :D

Their poop doesn't really generally stink..they are mostly herbivores, and it's not really an issue. Compare it to dog or cat poo, which has quite an awful odor.

I'll be honest.

They smell less than some of my relatives.

lol i can relate to the last part XD

Status
Not open for further replies.