Status
Not open for further replies.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Re: fast food hamburger joints
The only reason ground beef is so cheap nowadays, is that feedlots are heavily subsidized. Take away the subsidies, and the price of a hamburger rises to $20. And I think we should take away feedlot subsidies, because not only are free-ranging cattle healthier and happier, but they are also more nutritious for us to eat in terms of nutrients in their meat.

I agree completely. There are a lot of subsidies that I believe should be eliminated.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
A non-varied diet with meat is healthier than a non-varied diet without meat. This means imposing vegetarianism on people who can't really afford it is bad for their health. It takes a certain amount of money and time to be a healthy vegan/vegetarian that not everyone can afford. Of course the more fresh vegetables and fruits and the less heavily processed foods the better.

I think we should all eat less meat, and be aware of the ethics of were it came from (from an environmental, animal suffering, and human health perspective). But seriously, there is so much propoganda about food out there, be skeptical.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I am, right now, cooking up, 4 Hebrew National hot dogs for lunch. Premium cuts of beef-no if ands or…well you get the picture.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Redari said:
A non-varied diet with meat is healthier than a non-varied diet without meat. This means imposing vegetarianism on people who can't really afford it is bad for their health. It takes a certain amount of money and time to be a healthy vegan/vegetarian that not everyone can afford. Of course the more fresh vegetables and fruits and the less heavily processed foods the better.

I think we should all eat less meat, and be aware of the ethics of were it came from (from an environmental, animal suffering, and human health perspective). But seriously, there is so much propoganda about food out there, be skeptical.

I will agree with this. It takes a lot of time and discipline to eat like my husband and I do. I don't agree it's more expensive if you are eating proper portions. I went from spending about 150 a week which includes home goods like cleaners. With also switching to organic cleansers and eating a huge variety of organic and vegetarian food our bill is usually from 70- 100 a week now. We have also implemented a very disciplined meal and other item planning that means that we don't waste food pretty much ever.
Cowboy_Ken said:
I am, right now, cooking up, 4 Hebrew National hot dogs for lunch. Premium cuts of beef-no if ands or…well you get the picture.

Kosher hot dogs are soooo much less disgusting than regulars. I always ate HN because of my pork allergy. The HN are 100% swine free.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Kerryann said:
Kosher hot dogs are soooo much less disgusting than regulars. I always ate HN because of my pork allergy. The HN are 100% swine free.

What's worst than finding a worm in your apple? Finding half a worm.
What's worst than finding half a worm in your apple? Finding a vein in your hotdog.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I think we need to eat like we say to ideally feed our tortoises, variety-variety-variety. And the more variety, the better. And as much "real" food variety as we can. All hail the salads and greens. Tortoise ain't wrong.

My grandpa, 107 when he died, used to say "Processed foods will process people into jails and hospitals. Government will then use you as inventory to generate cash." He said this in the 70's. We though he was cuckoo clock. He also did not allow plastics in the house, especially for food. Said it would mess up our hormones. No microwave. He cut the cord of the one that dad bought, not cheap back then, and when pop questioned him, he said "Why would you take it back to the store? To kill another family? In the trash where it belongs." Forget Tupperware. He would wait for the delivery and then steal our bike and throw it in a store dumpster, new! For goodness sakes. But he was right on a lot of things, now that it's years later. Don't know how he knew, but he knew.

That being said, in Germany, our company Monsanto has tried 3 times to get in there. The German court, the judge, told them, Keep your Frankencorn out of our country. Poison your own people.

Corn, especially genetically modified robo corn is evil. High fructose corn syrup, made mostly from GMO corn, has been implicated in tumors and pancreatic cancers in test rats in French studies. And another study in Europe (forget which country) stated that they found that in the process of manufacturing high fructose corn syrup, they find mercury residue. Autism has gone up almost parallel to how long we have had high fructose corn syrup in use in our foods. Noticed that some ketchups now say "no HFCS" now.

And cow stomachs are meant to eat grass, not corn.

I know it's good, but is it good for you? And if it's not good for you, I guess we should try harder to balance it out with a few meals that are way good. Eat a rainbow a day of fruits and veggies. Fruits and veggies have those micronutrients that could never ever be duplicated. (Or like Grandpa would say, "not even by German man. Only God and nature do it exactly right").

Nature bats first, and last.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Yes, we are catholic eaters, but we require vitamin B12, which is only available through animal matter (meat, eggs, and dairy). Without eating some kind of animal matter, humans starve.

Funny you mention B12. I've had the weirdest pregnancy craving recently for seaweed, so I decided to look it up to make sure its healthy. One thing I found was that Nori seawood contains B-12. The amount of B-12 it contains is debatable - some some studies indicate that its a significant amount while others indicate that its not a significant source of the vitamin. I didn't spend too much time researching it since I'm a meat eater and get plenty of B-12. However, I think its interesting that B-12, even if its a minimal amount, can be found in this plant source.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Kerryann said:

What's worst than finding a worm in your apple? Finding half a worm.
What's worst than finding half a worm in your apple? Finding a vein in your hotdog.

LOL! Ewww!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I think we need to eat like we say to ideally feed our tortoises, variety-variety-variety. And the more variety, the better. And as much "real" food variety as we can. All hail the salads and greens. Tortoise ain't wrong.

I agree 100%. Variety,variety variety! Your grampa was a smart man! :D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
mctlong said:
Funny you mention B12. I've had the weirdest pregnancy craving recently for seaweed, so I decided to look it up to make sure its healthy. One thing I found was that Nori seawood contains B-12. The amount of B-12 it contains is debatable - some some studies indicate that its a significant amount while others indicate that its not a significant source of the vitamin. I didn't spend too much time researching it since I'm a meat eater and get plenty of B-12. However, I think its interesting that B-12, even if its a minimal amount, can be found in this plant source.

I can honestly say that I've never craved seaweed. In my first pregnancy I didn't crave anything, but instead had an extreme revulsion to potatoes. Raw, cooking, cooked it didn't matter. The smell made me want to puke.
In my second pregnancy I was extremely attracted to the smell of beer. While I had previously not liked it much, beer suddenly smelled flowery and wonderful to me. I didn't drink any beer, of course, but I made sure I got a good whiff from anyone else's beer (or beer breath). Ohh, the memories!
I eat a diet of whole grains, salad (especially Romaine), and meat. Works for me.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
GeoTerraTestudo said:
And I think we should take away feedlot subsidies, because not only are free-ranging cattle healthier and happier, but they are also more nutritious for us to eat in terms of nutrients in their meat.

(bold mine)
Can we just look at these happy cows?? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDvnUiO-LAk

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I know it's good, but is it good for you? And if it's not good for you, I guess we should try harder to balance it out with a few meals that are way good. Eat a rainbow a day of fruits and veggies.

YES! Thank you!
My boyfriend grew up eating only fast food, and meals full of cholesterol, saturated fat, sodium, etc. He was addicted to Little Debbie snack cakes, and ate a LOT of burgers, fries, pizza, white bread and pasta, etc.
He eats a lot better now, but still has a long way to go. The only vegetable he will eat is lettuce in a Caesar salad or burrito. He does like to make fruit smoothies, and I finally convinced him to throw a handful of spinach in the smoothie, because you can't even taste it. :cool: Baby steps!

I think one of the most important things you can teach your child is how to eat well. Get them used to healthy foods at a young age.

I now crave greens like kale and spinach, and I eat whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, farro...all different kinds of fruits and vegetables, nuts, lentils, beans...
You only get one body, so you might as well treat it well, and that includes what you put in it!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
mctlong said:
Like all omnivores, we are specifically designed to eat whatever food is most easily accessible to us when we become hungry ... As omnivores, we are meant to eat whatever is most easily accessible to us, regardless of whether that happens to be plant, animal, or bug. As humans, we choose our diet.

Yes, we are catholic eaters

After dressing out/skinning/boning, how much meat can you get off the average catholic? ;)

On a related note, a slogan for a new South Sea Island fast-food enterprise: "Don't cook tonight, call Missionary Delight!"... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.