Do you like meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
lisa127 said:
Chimps do occassionally eat smaller animals. Often, it is insects though. And other primates eat insects. I'm not saying any of us want to eat insects. I'm saying that is usually the protein part of the diet for other primates. We for some reason believe we are supposed to eat cows and pigs, and have a high percentage of protein in our diet.

Look in the mirror....your canine teeth hardly look very carnivorous.

Mine do :D
American's diets are too high in fat and the obesity rates have been skyrocketing as the amount of meat and dairy increase in our overall diet. People rarely eat the standard 3oz.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
lisa127 said:

That's because humans teeth aren't mean to puncture and mutilate like most carnivores. Our teeth are designed to saw through the meat and rip it off. Just because the teeth don't look like big huge fangs doesn't mean they weren't meant for eating meat.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Some of my teeth are certainly fang-like. My dad (a dentist) had to file down a few points on my teeth because I'd destroy my own cheeks.

But, I love meat and have seen slaughter houses first hand. The videos PETA puts out are the worst conditioned ones to give that biased perspective. If concerned about the animals choose free range beef and cage free eggs over even organic. Pigs rarely have it good... But they often must be kept in farrowing crates to keep them from rolling over and crushing one's offspring in the confined pens.

Mm pulled pork, steak, and BBQ chicken are some of my faves...

Someday I plan on owning some ducks for eggs and probably goats for milk. I can't eat chicken eggs and love how the ducks keep the yard bug free.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
All this talk of insects is making me hungry. If you haven't had meal worms stir fried with tamari and veggies, all I can say is pffft. They add a wonder crunch and by the ounce comparison, are higher nutritionally than most/all higher forms of meat.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Cowboy_Ken said:
All this talk of insects is making me hungry. If you haven't had meal worms stir fried with tamari and veggies, all I can say is pffft. They add a wonder crunch and by the ounce comparison, are higher nutritionally than most/all higher forms of meat.
I'll pass....lol.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
lisa127 said:
Chimps do occassionally eat smaller animals. Often, it is insects though. And other primates eat insects. I'm not saying any of us want to eat insects. I'm saying that is usually the protein part of the diet for other primates. We for some reason believe we are supposed to eat cows and pigs, and have a high percentage of protein in our diet.

Actually, chimps feed on colobus monkeys on a fairly regular basis! Not to mention each other...and any other small mammals they can get their hands on!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
DeanS said:
lisa127 said:

Actually, chimps feed on colobus monkeys on a fairly regular basis! Not to mention each other...and any other small mammals they can get their hands on!

Sure, but you're not mentioning what percentage of their diet is actually prey animals and/or insects. They are omnivores, yes. But only about 5% of their diet is protein. 95% is fruits/vegetation. As is the case with most primates. Again, I do not believe the diet humans eat is healthy or is how we should be eating. Our digestion system just does not support it. And seeing how other primates don't eat this way, why would anyone think we should?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
lisa127 said:
Sure, but you're not mentioning what percentage of their diet is actually prey animals and/or insects. They are omnivores, yes. But only about 5% of their diet is protein. 95% is fruits/vegetation. As is the case with most primates. Again, I do not believe the diet humans eat is healthy or is how we should be eating. Our digestion system just does not support it. And seeing how other primates don't eat this way, why would anyone think we should?

Can you please provide a reference to where you got these statistics? Thanks.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Kerryann said:
lisa127 said:

American's diets are too high in fat and the obesity rates have been skyrocketing as the amount of meat and dairy increase in our overall diet. People rarely eat the standard 3oz.

Mine do too! :D LOL
I think more people need to take advice from doctors about their eating habits. I have a high metabolism and am very active, and I have to eat the equivalent of 3 pounds of ground beef a day to get the enough protein in my diet. Then again I also have to eat more than the standard 3-5 servings a day of veggies too, to stay healthy.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
Kerryann said:
lisa127 said:

I think more people need to take advice from doctors about their eating habits. I have a high metabolism and am very active, and I have to eat the equivalent of 3 pounds of ground beef a day to get the enough protein in my diet. Then again I also have to eat more than the standard 3-5 servings a day of veggies too, to stay healthy.

My dads a doctor and i would think he's all about eating healthy and stuff but actually he eats like a normal American. which isn't a good thing.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
mctlong said:
lisa127 said:

Can you please provide a reference to where you got these statistics? Thanks.

Sure
http://www.oaklandzoo.org/Chimpanzee.php
http://www.save-the-primates.org.au/primates-chimpanzee.htm
http://anthro.palomar.edu/primate/prim_7.htm
http://www.lpzoosites.org/chimp-ssp/chimpanzees.htm
http://www.allaboutwildlife.com/what-do-chimps-eat
http://www.wildchimps.org/wcf/english/files/chimp4.htm

I could post more as well.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
A lot of people see these videos about cruelty toward animals, and automatically assume you have to become vegetarian or vegan. I don't think that's the case, though. It is possible to eat meat and be concerned about animal welfare at the same time. I see no conflict between the two, which is why I'm omnivorous.

Furthermore, I also agree that the human is an omnivorous species. You just can't get adequate nutrition without including some animal matter in your diet (whether that's meat, eggs, or dairy). Sure, most Americans these days eat not only too much meat, but too much low-quality meat from animals that have been raised under cruel conditions. That does have to change. However, I think that in and of itself, human omnivory is necessary for good nutrition, and does not have to entail cruelty to other animals.

As mentioned above, primates have been omnivorous for millions of years, and humans have been eating many different kinds of animals for hundreds of thousands of years. I see that notion all the time, that because we don't have fangs or claws we're not predators. Well, we don't have massive jaw muscles or huge molars, either, and yet we eat fibrous plants. How is this possible? Obviously, it's tool use and cooking. That's what allows us to eat all sorts of things, from fruits and vegetables to fish and ungulates, and a wide variety of things in between. Simply put, the human is an omnivorous species. Cave paintings show that we have been struggling with the morality of preying on large animals for thousands of years. We resolve this conflict by dispatching them quickly to alleviate their suffering. We have to, because like other predators, we need them for our own well-being. Unlike other predators, though, we are empathic enough to attend to their well-being, too.

Kerryann said:
I am a vegetarian but I actually don't concern myself with what others put into their bodies.
I have strong opinions about what I will feed my family. I am against all factory farms, GMOs and all of the things they spray on our food. This means I eat barely any processed food. My issue with the factory meat farms is partially the humane treatment of animals but also the unsanitary conditions and food. It bothers me that they feed the farm chickens antibiotics instead of remedying the unsanitary conditions. It also bothers me that they add the male chicks back into the feed for chickens. I worry that they are creating super bacteria in the environments where they are growing "food".
I worry in general that we use too many antibiotic hand lotions and crap too. I also think that all of chemicals and crap they put into food is causing the food allergy epidemic.
I am a bit of a prepper and I fear that there is a pandemic coming from the antibiotic usage and the food supply.

Good comment. Again, I'm omnivorous, but I do share these concerns about how animals are raised nowadays.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
lisa127 said:
And seeing how other primates don't eat this way, why would anyone think we should?

I feel this way about the space shuttle program. At least chimps used the Apollos. And then we humans learned that from them. As soon as we start to think on our own and do something primates don't do, look out, it all goes down hill.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It has been speculated that humans increased desire for, and consumption of, animal based protein is one reason we have "risen" above our primate ancestors. I'd don't have percentages, but o
I've baboons have the closest societal system to ours and they eat any meat they can catch and kill. Many of the males focus on hunting daily.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I have burned into my memory a group of male baboons fighting over, then eating a baby baboon that some how got separated from its mother.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
antonio_cormier said:
Spn785 said:
Kerryann said:
lisa127 said:

My dads a doctor and i would think he's all about eating healthy and stuff but actually he eats like a normal American. which isn't a good thing.

This is often true, but doctors still give patients advice on what to eat and what not to eat, even if they don't follow it themselves.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Cowboy_Ken said:
lisa127 said:
And seeing how other primates don't eat this way, why would anyone think we should?

I feel this way about the space shuttle program. At least chimps used the Apollos. And then we humans learned that from them. As soon as we start to think on our own and do something primates don't do, look out, it all goes down hill.

Obviously I'm not referring to thinking on our own. I'm referring to physically how are bodies are designed to digest food and physically what type of diet we should be eating.

Let me clarify, I am not a vegetarian. I eat meat occassionally. Every Sunday when I visit my mother I have meat at dinner. Occassionally during the week I will have a turkey breast sandwich (the only time I really like the taste of meat I guess). I will also eat it in a stir fry or something of that nature. I eat meat....just not much of it. On a daily basis I tend to eat fruit, whole grains, oatmeal, and vegetables (though not as much veggies as I should). Meat once or twice a week. But again, I'm not a vegetarian!! My posts are simply pointing out what the type of diet I believe humans are physically meant to consume.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Cowboy_Ken said:
I have burned into my memory a group of male baboons fighting over, then eating a baby baboon that some how got separated from its mother.

I think this is a very interesting part of the vegetarian discussion. Humans are different from other primates because we have a complex code of social norms and morals. Being omnivores, most primates eat what is most easily accessible to them, be that leaf, bug, lizard, or baby baboon. They don't think - "what are the moral implications of my food choices?" Their thought process is probably more along the lines of "hungry. eat."

Humans are different in that we can think about our diet and the long-term consequences of our food choices. In some parts of the world, people are lucky enough to have an abundance of food and can pick and choose what they want to indulge in based on their personal tastes and their personal views of what’s 'right' to eat and what’s 'wrong' to eat. This is an extraordinary privilege that most omnivores (and even a good chunk of people around the world) do not have.

Ultimately, we are all omnivores at our core. Our bodies can digest a wide array of plants and animals, which is amazing. To say we're not meant to eat animals or we're not meant to eat plants is simply not true. Like all omnivores, we are specifically designed to eat whatever food is most easily accessible to us when we become hungry. Being human adds another layer to our core omnivore nature. It adds a complex thought process that allows us to philosophize about our food choices. If we're lucky enough to have options available, we can choose food based on morals rather than hunger. We can think about the long-term health effects of our food choices and plan our meals accordingly. If we have an abundance of food to choose from, then being a vegetarian is a choice, as is being a meat eater. It is not a natural state, it is not what we were meant to do. As omnivores, we are meant to eat whatever is most easily accessible to us, regardless of whether that happens to be plant, animal, or bug. As humans, we choose our diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good post Shelly. I find people's reasoning behind their daily food choices pretty interesting and I think we are all pretty fortunate to have the luxury of choice here in the US. People's taste preferences have always intrigued me too. Some people just don't crave meat or don't care for the taste or texture of it much, while others have these deep seated cravings for it and salivate at the mere thought of a good cut of beef, like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.