Does my Russian tortoise have shell rot?

KelseyN14

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Does my Russian tortoise have shell rot? I just noticed this today on his shell I haven’t touched it yet. What can I do to help him? Please help me.

Attachments

• CFDC67E1-3BF6-4DF9-9EDD-9FBAEACD23AC.png
    CFDC67E1-3BF6-4DF9-9EDD-9FBAEACD23AC.png
    925.5 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This looks more to me like some sort of injury or burn from heat, but I’m not entirely sure🫤
I’ll tag @Yvonne G and @Tom hopefully he’ll these guys and wellington can help you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does my Russian tortoise have shell rot? I just noticed this today on his shell I haven’t touched it yet. What can I do to help him? Please help me.
Looks like a normal rough textured Russian shell to me.

Shell rot happens on the plastron and it is generally caused by constant exposure to wetness in red foot tortoises. Russians don't get shell rot.

What type of basking bulb are you using? Be sure it is not a "spot" type bulb. Check the temperature under it by resting a digital thermometer on its back directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height and letting it cook there for an hour or more. It should be 95-100. Raise or lower the bulb or the wattage to get the correct temperature under it.

KelseyN14

Texas
Looks like a normal rough textured Russian shell to me.

Shell rot happens on the plastron and it is generally caused by constant exposure to wetness in red foot tortoises. Russians don't get shell rot.

What type of basking bulb are you using? Be sure it is not a "spot" type bulb. Check the temperature under it by resting a digital thermometer on its back directly under the bulb at tortoise shell height and letting it cook there for an hour or more. It should be 95-100. Raise or lower the bulb or the wattage to get the correct temperature under it.
It’s a 100 watt basking bulb, but his log is underneath it so he doesn’t always have direct contact. Maybe I’m just not soaking him enough either. I added more water to his bedding last night too. I will check the temperature as you said, I have a thermometer for his “cool” side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s a 100 watt basking bulb, but his log is underneath it so he doesn’t always have direct contact. Maybe I’m just not soaking him enough either. I added more water to his bedding last night too. I will check the temperature as you said, I have a thermometer for his “cool” side.
You need to know what type of basking bulb. Is it a spot or a flood top bulb.

And you need to know the temperature directly under the bulb.

If you have a flood bulb and the temperature is correct, I don't think you have any problem with the carapace.

KelseyN14

Texas
You need to know what type of basking bulb. Is it a spot or a flood top bulb.

And you need to know the temperature directly under the bulb.

If you have a flood bulb and the temperature is correct, I don't think you have any problem with the carapace.
It is a spot bulb and I will get the temperature once the thermometer can read it on his warm side

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is a spot bulb and I will get the temperature once the thermometer can read it on his warm side
That might be causing the problem. Spot bulbs should not be used over tortoises. They concentrate too much heat and desiccating IR-A into too small of an area. You need a flood type bulb to spread the heat out over a greater area and reduce the potential for burning the carapace.

KelseyN14

Texas
That might be causing the problem. Spot bulbs should not be used over tortoises. They concentrate too much heat and desiccating IR-A into too small of an area. You need a flood type bulb to spread the heat out over a greater area and reduce the potential for burning the carapace.
Okay thank you, I will look into buying one. Is there anything I can do to help my tortoise for now with their shell (medicine, more soaking)?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hey just thought I’d add an example of the kind of bulb you need🙂

I don’t suppose you’d mind if we got a picture of your entire enclosure? We might be able to help you avoid and further issues in the future.

It would be great to have this info if you have the answers:
What kind of uv are you using? Packaging photos are helpful!
What size is your set up?
Substrate? Looks like mulch which is fine😊
Basking temp? All over day temps? Night temps?
Humidity?
How’s their diet been?🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 0