Does Substrate effect the amout of urates in tortoise urine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I have two Russian Tortoises. The male I've had for 11 years and the female for 2 years. I just recently switched their substrate to hay from bark and ever since the female has had more urates in her urine than in the past. They seem to love the hay more than the bark because its easier to dig in and they create their own little tunnels throughout their enclosure but I'm wondering if the dryness of the hay will actually effect her hydration?

I feed them a variety of greens and veggies and soak them close to two times a week. I also have a water dish in their enclosure but I've never seem them use it, just explore around it.

I'd appreciate any help, Thank you!! :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Interesting question. I am not seeing how it would. Is it really a lot more dry with the hay then the bark? (I think of bark as being dry to) Are they eating the hay, too?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What is your current humidity level in the hay? What was your humidity level while using the bark? I too, think of bark as being a dry substrate.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Is it bark or mulch? Mulch can hold humidity much better than hay. I don't think hay makes a good substrate for Russians, but that's my opinion.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Their old substrate was ZooMed's Forest Floor bedding but now that I think of it was closer to mulch but throughout the month it dried up like bark. They weren't digging all that much that's why I switched to hay. They aren't eating the hay besides a piece or two that they might drag up onto their food dish because the female likes to sit on her food while she eats.

Why is it that you think hay isn't a good substrate for Russians Spn785?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Hay can mold and doesn't hold humidity well. Personally I think Coco coir or plain organic dirt would wok better. Maybe mix a little play sand with the coir or dirt to make it easier for them to dig. But this is just my opinion.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
Hay can mold and doesn't hold humidity well. Personally I think Coco coir or plain organic dirt would wok better. Maybe mix a little play sand with the coir or dirt to make it easier for them to dig. But this is just my opinion.

Agreed

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hay would be much drier than soil like substrate...I would use something more earth/natural than hay or even the bark (I know, some like the bark, but do you mix dirt and moss in for mucking about?)

Status
Not open for further replies.