Does this Craigslist tortoise look okay?

Sarabeth67

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte NC
This red foot tortoise is for sale on Craigslist. I’ve asked lots of questions and they said it doesn’t have any health issues. I asked if it was eating, drinking and pooping normally, if it had any soft spots on the bottom of the shell. They are keeping it in a cardboard box with gravel so obviously it’s not getting proper care. Said it came from petco and it’s about 6 inches in shell length.
Is there anything visibly wrong with him from the pictures? I know Craigslist is sketchy but I just want to run this by experienced people.
Thanks for any input!

52FF4FBA-4F17-4057-BA83-4E6C8C04BF30.jpeg 8C07BAD7-9A63-449B-9B33-CA40B96DB5A0.jpeg 42800CA3-EA59-48DF-A303-40B92EFF55BE.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It actually looks pretty good for a craigslist tortoise. Eyes are bright shell is darned near perfect. It looks a little dry, but that's hard to assess from a picture. It's impossible to keep a redfooted tortoise in the type of habitat it requires when its living in a cardboard box. They need a warm, humid environment.

Sarabeth67

Charlotte NC
Does the bottom of his shell look ok? I was worried about it having shell rot since I don’t know what normal coloration is for them. I really want to get this guy. Would a large Rubbermaid tote with cypress mulch and moss work for him until I build a larger enclosure very soon? If I maybe cut the the lid and have the lid halfway on to hold some humidity. Of course the heat and uvb. Im reading as much as I can about their care but I wanted to set up something temporary for now.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Does the bottom of his shell look ok? I was worried about it having shell rot since I don’t know what normal coloration is for them. I really want to get this guy. Would a large Rubbermaid tote with cypress mulch and moss work for him until I build a larger enclosure very soon? If I maybe cut the the lid and have the lid halfway on to hold some humidity. Of course the heat and uvb. Im reading as much as I can about their care but I wanted to set up something temporary for now.

I agree with all the other members. It looks like a decently healthy tortoise! You should get him / her.

I'm no expert or have kept Redfoots, but I've heard moss can cause impaction.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree lots is pretty good. A plastic tote is going to be too small. Make sure it's a short temp enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Your tort look fine but a little "dry" if so I may put it.