Does this forum condone tortoise flipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
If this girl is making a profit like this, which seems to be the case, I think it is despicable and sincerely hope the forum does not condone such practices.
However, we don't know the full story and I hope that questions are being asked behind the scenes by our moderators.
But most of all I hope the two Russian tortoises in question can be found a genuine loving owner to go to live with.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
OK, so it appears we currently have someone who "adopted" two russians in may for free. Now they have the pair listed on this forum for $175. So they took someones pets who wanted a permanent, loving home for them and are SELLING them 2 months later. A couple of us called attention to it but the posts were deleted. But the OP is being allowed to use the forum to flip them for a profit.

I don't like it.
the post in that thread were deleted because there is no chit-chat allowed on for sale threads. If theOP is doing something wrong I don't know but we have to follow the rules there is no specific rule against adopting a free tortoise and then selling it later

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
the post in that thread were deleted because there is no chit-chat allowed on for sale threads. If theOP is doing something wrong I don't know but we have to follow the rules there is no specific rule against adopting a free tortoise and then selling it later
I'd probably start such a rule. Seems most here think it is a scummy thing to do. I would hope calling someone out for despicable behavior isn't deemed "chit chat".

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The OP posted the thread in the Adoptions section where comments are allowed.
The comments were made there.
It has since been moved after the comments were deleted, i think.
So it seems that the forum doesn't condone it but won't tell anyone if we know it's happening ?
We'll let members sell to these people ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So it seems that the forum doesn't condone it but won't tell anyone if we know it's happening ?

This isn't true. I just now looked at the thread and it definitely IS in the 'for sale' section. Anytime someone wants money for a tortoise, even if they call it an adoption, we put it in the 'for sale' section.:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-m-f-pair-wi.144686/

There were two comments, one made by Brian and the other by Adam. Both those comments are still there, but they have been made invisible to the general membership because of the 'no posts in the 'for sale' section rule.

We don't know this person. We have no way of knowing her intention when she took in the tortoises. We don't know what has happened to her situation to make her feel the need to now find new homes for her animals. All we can do is hope things work out ok for all parties involved. I would feel terrible if this type of discussion was going on about me because I had to find new homes for all my animals because my husband died, or I lost my house or job, or for whatever reason. Try to be more charitable.

Last edited:

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I'd probably start such a rule. Seems most here think it is a scummy thing to do. I would hope calling someone out for despicable behavior isn't deemed "chit chat".
let me explain no comments are allowed at all on the for sale thread I just use the term Chit Chat but no comments whatsoever are allowed and how will you enforce such a rule? Because I'd really like to know

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the thread was always in the for sale Section I did not move it I don't know of any other moderators who did so I don't know what you're talking about Adam. but the rules of that section are simple if you charge a fee it's a for sale thread if there's no fee involved it's an adoption she charge $175 so it's in the for sale thread

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This isn't true. I just now looked at the thread and it definitely IS in the 'for sale' section. Anytime someone wants money for a tortoise, even if they call it an adoption, we put it in the 'for sale' section.:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-m-f-pair-wi.144686/

There were two comments, one made by Brian and the other by Adam. Both those comments are still there, but they have been made invisible to the general membership because of the 'no posts in the 'for sale' section rule.

We don't know this person. We have no way of knowing her intention when she took in the tortoises. We don't know what has happened to her situation to make her feel the need to now find new homes for her animals. All we can do is hope things work out ok for all parties involved. I would feel terrible if this type of discussion was going on about me because I had to find new homes for all my animals because my husband died, or I lost my house or job, or for whatever reason. Try to be more charitable.
What isn't true ?
And I did post that we don't know the full story or what was happening behind the scenes and that the torts going to a good home was the most important thing.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Was/is this person also selling other animals?
She apparently adopted two Russian tortoises a few months ago and now she is selling them according to her ad she is selling all the reptiles so I imagine this is a lifestyle change circumstance but I have no evidence one way or the other she's not breaking any rules so the ad will stay

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She apparently adopted two Russian tortoises a few months ago and now she is selling them according to her ad she is selling all the reptiles so I imagine this is a lifestyle change circumstance but I have no evidence one way or the other she's not breaking any rules so the ad will stay
If just a lifestyle change why try to make a profit of a couple of hundred dollars on the torts alone ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
On the non-tort forum where I am moderator we have a similar no chat rule in our jobs forum.

Members wanting to debate salaries, terms or whatever simply create a thread in the General Chat forum and link to the thread in that.

It works well for us. Flipping suspects could be discussed in a similar way on here if the mods permit it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If it's the member selling ALL of her animals, it's possible that she is ill or has some sort of emergency situation going on.
So why sell animals you got for free at a huge profit ?
But you're right we don't know the situation which is why we asked.
i asked if the forum could help her in any way to keep the animals in question.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So why sell animals you got for free at a huge profit ?
But you're right we don't know the situation which is why we asked.
i asked if the forum could help her in any way to keep the animals in question.

We don't know what's running through her mind. Maybe she feels the animals will go to a good home if someone has to pay for them.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We don't know what's running through her mind. Maybe she feels the animals will go to a good home if someone has to pay for them.
Which is why i politely asked if we could help.
I hope they do find a good home.
I feel sad now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.