Dried flower mix

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would love to get your opinion on whether you have or would feed your tort dried flower mix. I’m am growing some flowers specifically for my tort (when it arrives) but if there was a stage I had run out how do you feel about the dried stuff, maybe soaked in water to rehydrate slightly?

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hi all,

I would love to get your opinion on whether you have or would feed your tort dried flower mix. I’m am growing some flowers specifically for my tort (when it arrives) but if there was a stage I had run out how do you feel about the dried stuff, maybe soaked in water to rehydrate slightly?

View attachment 236309

View attachment 236310
I use the herbal hay you can buy online. It has a large assortment of dried flowers and dried weeds. My sulcata seems to enjoy it, I think adds some variety, and also some fiber to the diet. It's a pretty good addition to someone feeding grocery store greens to get that needed fiber.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Some tortoises like it, some don’t but like Jay says it adds variety.

All these flowers are safe and they “look” clean in the picture. I suggest you check the vendor to see what you can find out about the source. Do they keep tortoises? Do they tell you anything about how they raised the flowers (pesticide free?). I only see one review there but that vendor may sell other products, with other reviews.

If you aren’t comfortable with the source you can buy a similar product, along with many kinds of dried weeds, from the Shelled Warriors shop in the UK. Tortoises are all they do: http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/flower-mix-20g-7370-p.asp.

They’ve got a new mix that contains both flowers and weeds: http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.u...tural-ready-to-feed-100g-free-post-7551-p.asp.

daniellenc

Maryland
I just lightly sprinkle it on my torts chopped greens. He eats though doesn't go nuts but it breaks up the winter diet monotony of store bought greens for sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I first started using this with a bunch of russian tortoise babies. At first they kind of shied away from it, but by about the sixth time I sprinkled it on top of their food, they would come running and gobble up every crumb. Using the "herbal hay" became a sure fire way to get them to eat anything. My sulcatas and leopards also liked it, but they like everything anyway...