Druid and Aimon

Druidcorn

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey Hey Everyone,

On the interwebs I go by Druidcorn. Nice to meet you all. I've always wanted a turtle and i finally got myself situated enough to afford to care for one so I just got a baby sulcata about 3 weeks ago. I'm calling him Aimon (which is a french name that means 'home'). I was told he was about a month old so that's what i'm judging his age by.

10983212_955196574544251_410846856456732312_n.jpg

Here's what Aimon's home looks like so far. I'm using top soil with like a handful of calcisand mixed in but I might stop using the calcisand all together because of some of the negative things i keep reading about it. These last three weeks I've been coming in and out of this website to find information on how to properly care for him and based off everything, this is the format I've gotten. So thanks for having so much here for me. He seems pretty happy and cozy so far and I want to keep him that way. I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully making a place for myself in this forum community. <3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Aimon.
Your right about the sand if they swallow it in food it can become impacted in his gut, and doesn't hold moisture well for the humidity levels
I use coco coir and orchid bark for my leopard but look at the caresheet for sullys which will tell you all about substrate, diet, temps and humidity etc

I would add a couple of tort safe plants in there to make him feel more secure (spider plants are good - just bury the pots in substrate) and he needs a slightly bigger, but much shallower water dish like a cheap terracotta plant saucer sunk level with surface of substrate one that he can get in and out of to self soak. What are you using for uv and heat etc?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome, Druidcorn.
Yes. Ditch the sand. Also I.M.O.the big mountain thing on the left, although it looks nice, takes up too much space in his already cramped enclosure and even worse, it could be an easy way for him to climb up and flip over on his back. Something you want to avoid.
If that tote came with a lid, you may want to leave it on part ways to help bring up the humidity. I know you are also in Florida so make sure he gets some supervised out door time in the sunlight.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
.............and the topsoil should be completely free of any chemicals, fertilisers etc

Druidcorn

Florida
Thanks for getting back to me! <3

I was thinking about getting plants for him tomorrow but I wasn't sure which ones i wanted yet. I will definitely look into Spider plants now. I have two clip on lamps over his pin. One's a uvb bulb and the other's for heating. I believe his tanks about 85-87 degrees on average. I have two heating bulbs (one for night and day time) that I try to swap out every morning and night.

Druidcorn

Florida
The top soil's chem free and the pet store I got him from said he was too young to take outside to roam and such yet. What do you think?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

I was thinking about getting plants for him tomorrow but I wasn't sure which ones i wanted yet. I will definitely look into Spider plants now. I have two clip on lamps over his pin. One's a uvb bulb and the other's for heating. I believe his tanks about 85-87 degrees on average. I have two heating bulbs (one for night and day time) that I try to swap out every morning and night.
We've had issues reported by members about the compact, coil bulbs. What kind of uvb bulb are you using?

Druidcorn

Florida
Where in Florida are you?
I'm in Broward and there are LOTS of other Florida members here!
Winter Park. Although he can't really appreciate the weather indoors since my roomm
We've had issues reported by members about the compact, coil bulbs. What kind of uvb bulb are you using?

I'm not sure what you mean by coil bulb. Here's the box it came in. WIN_20150728_050531 (2).JPG

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Be careful of the clips - they have been known to fail and the lamps fall and cause burns or fire better to hang them so the heat is directed where you want it.
He could do with a much bigger tub really so that you can get your 4 temps and have space to explore more.
When you say night bulb what sort are you using? I it is red it can mess with the torts head - they like red and will eat anything red so he could start to eat his substrate, also torts need complete darkness to sleep so either use a CHE on a thermostat or a black bulb.
Look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to find out which plants are safe or not.

Druidcorn

Florida
Be careful of the clips - they have been known to fail and the lamps fall and cause burns or fire better to hang them so the heat is directed where you want it.
He could do with a much bigger tub really so that you can get your 4 temps and have space to explore more.
When you say night bulb what sort are you using? I it is red it can mess with the torts head - they like red and will eat anything red so he could start to eat his substrate, also torts need complete darkness to sleep so either use a CHE on a thermostat or a black bulb.
Look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to find out which plants are safe or not.

His tubs like 24 x 16 x 12. How much bigger would you suggest? His night time bulb gives off a dark blue light so it doesn't bother me while i'm sleeping. Also with the food. I've been feeding him mint leaves and then some colorful tortoise food. What do you guys use?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The top soil's chem free and the pet store I got him from said he was too young to take outside to roam and such yet. What do you think?
Some people use cheap kiddies paddling pools or raised garden bed kits to contain them outdoors - but they need shade in it and should still be supervised in case of predators - birds etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
His tubs like 24 x 16 x 12. How much bigger would you suggest? His night time bulb gives off a dark blue light so it doesn't bother me while i'm sleeping. Also with the food. I've been feeding him mint leaves and then some colorful tortoise food. What do you guys use?
I don't think mint is recommended but check on that website and
Definitely look at the care sheet for sulcatas ASAP- he needs a much more varied diet than that!
The bulb may not bother you but could bother the tort - a black bulb would be better.
I think I would double that size,

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm sorry to report that it's the type of bulb that you have that has caused problems. (Not the colored bulb, the coiled compact UVB)Pet stores love selling them. Even my own vet sells them!
I would recommend trying to return it and getting an 18" strip florescent light or a mercury vapor lamp. Mercury vapor will provide UVB as well as heat.
Also mint leaves are not very good food and the colorful pellets sold at the pet store are a horrible food for a Sulcata.
I know it's a lot to hear at once. I'm sorry.
With help from the forum, we'll get you guys settled.
There are Sulcata gurus here. They are sleeping right now.
Someone with lots more experience with them will be along soon.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Winter Park. Although he can't really appreciate the weather indoors since my roomm

I'm not sure what you mean by coil bulb. Here's the box it came in. View attachment 141011
That bulb is going to hurt your torts eyes and make him ill stop using and change it asap. See if the shop will exchange.
An MVB gives light, heat and UV rays all in one so is a better option.

Druidcorn

Florida
Some people use cheap kiddies paddling pools or raised garden bed kits to contain them outdoors - but they need shade in it and should still be supervised in case of predators - birds etc.
Lol. Oh dear. Looks like I'll be shopping for me than i thought tomorrow. Got it.
I'm sorry to report that it's the type of bulb that you have that has caused problems. (Not the colored bulb, the coiled compact UVB)Pet stores love selling them. Even my own vet sells them!
I would recommend trying to return it and getting an 18" strip florescent light or a mercury vapor lamp. Mercury vapor will provide UVB as well as heat.
Also mint leaves are not very good food and the colorful pellets sold at the pet store are a horrible food for a Sulcata.
I know it's a lot to hear at once. I'm sorry.
With help from the forum, we'll get you guys settled.
There are Sulcata gurus here. They are sleeping right now.
Someone with lots more experience with them will be along soon.
Lol. Oh dear. I'm glad I posted now. Looks like I'll be doing more shopping than i thought tomorrow.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm sorry if we've been quite negative but its important to get it right for your tort and although it's costly to start it will save you lots of money on vets fees in the end.
If you want to check anything before you buy there is always someone around from one part of the world or another who will advise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
As soon as the collective gets up, they will be able to give you links with photos of what you need. So save your money until then.
I know this is rough to hear, but once you get things right, It'll all be so much better and so much easier.
Basically, disregard anything that pet shop people say and ask here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm sorry if we've been quite negative but its important to get it right for your tort and although it's costly to start it will save you lots of money on vets fees in the end.
If you want to check anything before you buy there is always someone around from one part of the world or another who will advise.
Lyn is on the other side of the planet,
We have members from EVERYWERE!