Druid and Aimon

Druidcorn

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
As soon as the collective gets up, they will be able to give you links with photos of what you need. So save your money until then.
I know this is rough to hear, but once you get things right, It'll all be so much better and so much easier.
Basically, disregard anything that pet shop people say and ask here.

Lol. Pet shops always seem to do me terrible. I can't wait to hear what everyone else has to suggest. I want Aimon to live a long time so what ever you guys suggest, I'm open eared.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lol. Pet shops always seem to do me terrible. I can't wait to hear what everyone else has to suggest. I want Aimon to live a long time so what ever you guys suggest, I'm open eared.
Unfortunately Pet shops world wide do it to everyone. They just want to make money and don't care about after care and don't have to deal with the fall out, so you are not alone there. I was fortunate to find this forum before I bought anything.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You'll find lots of info for Sulcatas under Species Specific section - African tortoises
also look at the Enclosures thread for ideas
I also found the Beginners Mistakes thread useful to help me avoid the same mistakes made by others

I have a leopard tort which is similar care but sully owners will be here soon.
So read search and ask as many questions as you like we'll help you get it right!

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I'm sorry to report that it's the type of bulb that you have that has caused problems. (Not the colored bulb, the coiled compact UVB)Pet stores love selling them. Even my own vet sells them!

Uh, it is? That's funny because the pic i see does not seem like a coil bulb.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Druidcorn and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and the very lovely Aimon.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
for lots of good ideas.
Try a cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate for a water bowl. Much safer for the tortoise.
No sand. I agree that the big climbing feature in the corner is too big and a possible flip hazard.
Have a read and come back with any questions you might have.
I, also, would not use that sort of bulb, myself.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Uh, it is? That's funny because the pic i see does not seem like a coil bulb.
I've started to say coil instead of compact florescent. It's a C.F.L. The issues have been attributed to them as well.
I guess that would be a looped CFL and not a coil.
I wouldn't use it even for a day.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Welcome, dont be discouraged ! Good to remember this "Pet shops are usually a lot more interested in sales than your pets welfare !" ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome, dont be discouraged ! Good to remember this "Pet shops are usually a lot more interested in sales than your pets welfare !" ;)
Even in a best case scenario, an honest salesperson who is genuinely interested in helping will rarely if ever have a lot of first hand tortoise experience.