Dry skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
One of my leopard hatchlings seems to have some peeling skin on its neck. His head also seems to look a bit dry. Anything I can do for this? Powersun light is on about 12 hours and then the heat lamp. He is under the hay a lot. Otherwise he looks good and eats well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its quite normal for their skin to peel...especially the very young ones. Don't pick at it. Is your baby well-hydrated?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You may need to force soak him...at least twice-a-day! Just fill a tupperware (or a baking pan) with an inch of warm water and let him sit in it for a half an hour or so...in the mid morning and again before sundown. For even better results (and a more relaxed tort), soak him under his heat lamp...the longer the water stays warm, the better!

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
emysemys said:
Its quite normal for their skin to peel...especially the very young ones. Don't pick at it. Is your baby well-hydrated?

I think so? I put it in a small plastic box with water on one end about every other day. It eats well when I have him there also. I spray one end to mist it everyother day also.

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
my baby's doing this too-- she haaates being soaked, and charges around the tank afterward, but I do my best to do it daily.

lucky for me, she doesn't seem to hold it against me, and loves getting her head and neck rubbed (though my fiance said she was a little head-shy from him, this morning, when he noticed the shedding).

Oh-- fellas, should Myrtle651 and I try using some sphagnum moss in our tanks, to keep up the humidity? :eek:

oh, and Penelope bounced back just fine after following your advice! Didn't even use much of the antibiotic (she stopped falling for our tricks, and is stubborn as all heck)!

Status
Not open for further replies.