"Dud" Redfoot eggs

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
About two and a half months ago, two of my Redfoot females layed eggs within a few days of each other. A few got destroyed but 7 came inside to be incubated. Two where normalish. Five were very tiny.
Today I candled them with a bright LED flashlight and see that all five tiny ones are clear with some discoloration settled at the bottom. No activity and the two larger ones show small areas of darkness near the edges of the shell and tiny, hairline cracks in those areas on the exterior of the shell. Empty.
So, unfortunately they are all no good. It makes sense because these are the first eggs that either of tho
se females have ever dropped.
How many dud batches are deposited before viable eggs are produced?
My male has been romancing all 3 of his ladies.
In the meantime, I'll dispose of the eggs before they explode. I've already been there. Done that.
Not pleasant!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first year my SA leopard laid eggs, she had three clutches (last year). I treated them as I should (diapause, etc) and now I'm seeing that they are all no good.

dumje

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Miami Florida
Honestly. I would keep them in the incubator for 6 months. I have had clutches hatch in 3 to 4 months. I have had clutches hatch in 6 months. I have had eggs in the same clutch hatch 1 month apart or several weeks apart. That being said that first year my Red Foot group laid I hatched about 6 babies out of 40 or so eggs.

Good luck next season. You should have better odds at hatching.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
About two and a half months ago, two of my Redfoot females layed eggs within a few days of each other. A few got destroyed but 7 came inside to be incubated. Two where normalish. Five were very tiny.
Today I candled them with a bright LED flashlight and see that all five tiny ones are clear with some discoloration settled at the bottom. No activity and the two larger ones show small areas of darkness near the edges of the shell and tiny, hairline cracks in those areas on the exterior of the shell. Empty.
So, unfortunately they are all no good. It makes sense because these are the first eggs that either of tho
se females have ever dropped.
How many dud batches are deposited before viable eggs are produced?
My male has been romancing all 3 of his ladies.
In the meantime, I'll dispose of the eggs before they explode. I've already been there. Done that.
Not pleasant!
Ed, I don't know if this is a way to know if fertile or not, but my hatchlings weighed 21g. Try weighing your eggs, wish I had at the beginning now.