Dumb it down for me (lighting)?

AnimalLady

I need to set up and indoor temporary enclosure. I have a 60 gallon tub to work with. This temp home will only be used on cold days here, there are not many at all. If the temps are in the 80's day time, Mac goes outside, less than that and I want him in.
UVBs MVBs CHEs .. what?

Is there a system that will clamp to the side of something that is like an all in one plug and play type thing? What are my MUST haves for this to work? Is there a specific brand you all recommend?

Can someone dumb this down for me? I'm on the Petco site and I am so damn lost right now. I want to get this set up quickly so I can feel better about not being prepared.

Also, I use only topsoil in his outdoor enclosure, can I do the same for the indoor, or must I use the coconut stuff?

TIA!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Topsoil is fine. You probably don't need uvb since he won't be in much, so just ambient lighting and hearing. I use eithr fluorescent or led for ambient and a che for heat.

AnimalLady

UVB, is this the bulb that mimics the sun?

Ambient lighting and heating, so a regular LED bulb for ambient? Like one I would use in a light fixture for myself? I know I sound slow, I'm sorry!

CHE I figured out, Ceramic heat bulb, any brand?

Can I use any fixture for these? I want the clamp type style to save space.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Of you use the clamps, use wire to secure the clamp. Any led, I prefer a 'daylight' vs 'warm white' bulb, something like 5000k+ for the color temperature. I'd use any che you can buy retail at a pet store, I don't use the cheap ones that can be found online.

AnimalLady

ok, im not liking the drilling into my wall thing. do they have fixtures that can stand but be adjustable for height? I think they do, I mean why wouldn't they.

Thanks so much for your help! It really is appreciated :)

AnimalLady

I'm not that crafty and for $17 a pop, i'll save myself the headache. I'm going to buy 2 of the ones you just showed me. I have Prime too, so im a happy camper :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
So I might have no choice but to drill. ermmmm ok. will do

You can tie the light to the stand. If you don't have bailing wire, zip ties would probably also work.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA

AnimalLady

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this thread title maybe think of The Simpsons episode where Homer said could you dumb it down for me doc?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm not that crafty and for $17 a pop, i'll save myself the headache. I'm going to buy 2 of the ones you just showed me. I have Prime too, so im a happy camper :)
I used to use those lamp stands, they work pretty well for the price. Just a bit of advice, make sure when you get it at the height you want it you have someone with strong hands tighten down the adjustment knob as much as possible, I had them work their way loose a couple of times and slide down to the shortest position. Not the end of the world because the make shift cover I had on my enclosure stopped the lamp from getting too close to my tortoises...but it was an MVB and had the cover not been there it might have been bad. Anyway, you get the point :)

AnimalLady

I used to use those lamp stands, they work pretty well for the price. Just a bit of advice, make sure when you get it at the height you want it you have someone with strong hands tighten down the adjustment knob as much as possible, I had them work their way loose a couple of times and slide down to the shortest position. Not the end of the world because the make shift cover I had on my enclosure stopped the lamp from getting too close to my tortoises...but it was an MVB and had the cover not been there it might have been bad. Anyway, you get the point :)

Ok, gotcha, since you said this, i'll probably check on that constantly now. Thanks! ;)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Ok, gotcha, since you said this, i'll probably check on that constantly now. Thanks! ;)
LOL...yeah, sorry...it gave me a touch of paranoia. The enclosure I had when this happened didn't have very high sides like some of those big tubs do though so you would probably be alright.

AnimalLady

Ok, I'm bringing this back up to life!

I NEED HELP! I am breaking my head with this and im driving myself mad. I want to buy what I need today and have this sh!t here in 2 days!

I am breaking my head between these 2 things:

Do I really need a CHE? Cant I just buy a basking/heat bulb and that's it? The temps in my house wont be super cold either. I was thinking of getting the basking/heat lamp like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256EAI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
putting it on a stand thing, and calling it a day? Do I need ambient lighting? Why? If I place him in a sunny bright area in my house, will that work? I mean, all lights go off at night anyways..right? Forgive me if I sound ignorant!

He will continue to get his UVB from outside, this is just for the cold days (not many). a CHE seems like overkill for me? It is not that cold here at all! I'm actually scared of the CHE, ive read one too many horror stories... and I know if I do it right nothing will happen, blah blah, but the paranoia is still there.

What do you all recommend? Help?! PLEASEEEE!!!