Dumb it down for me (lighting)?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You live nearby.
I've never used a CHE indoors.
My closed chamber with just a 5.0 flo tube stays at over 78 even in the coolest nights in my house.
Mostly it's about 84 ish.
I use el cheapo incandescent reptile bulbs overhead for heating on extra cold nights when I have to bring the whole group inside the patio.
Still it might be too cold for great comfort, but not cold enough and not cold for for long enough to have ever caused real issues for me.

AnimalLady

You live nearby.
I've never used a CHE indoors.
My closed chamber with just a 5.0 flo tube stays at over 78 even in the coolest nights in my house.
Mostly it's about 84 ish.
I use el cheapo incandescent reptile bulbs overhead for heating on extra cold nights when I have to bring the whole group inside the patio.
Still it might be too cold for great comfort, but not cold enough and not cold for for long enough to have ever caused real issues for me.

See, this helps. I'm going to go ahead and just get that basking/heat light thing and call it a day. Low wattage too, this should keep him warm enough!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This is for the Russian in your avatar?

Use the lamp stand since you don't want to make one
Buy a ceramic base brooder clamp lamp from home depot for $14
Get a 75 watt incandescent bulb from Wal-Mart for like $3

Put the bulb in the lamp on the stand over the tub.
Raise or lower the light until you have a 95° spot underneath it.

That's it. You'll be just fine with that. Afterall, it's a temporary enclosure, right?

In time if you want to add extra lighting with no extra heat you can add some LED or florescent lights. Keep in mind the brighter you light up the enclosure the more active your little guy will be. That's why others recommended the ambient light.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
See, this helps. I'm going to go ahead and just get that basking/heat light thing and call it a day. Low wattage too, this should keep him warm enough!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
If there is ever any emergency I've got boxes of the stuff.

AnimalLady

This is for the Russian in your avatar?

Use the lamp stand since you don't want to make one
Buy a ceramic base brooder clamp lamp from home depot for $14
Get a 75 watt incandescent bulb from Wal-Mart for like $3

Put the bulb in the lamp on the stand over the tub.
Raise or lower the light until you have a 95° spot underneath it.

That's it. You'll be just fine with that. Afterall, it's a temporary enclosure, right?

In time if you want to add extra lighting with no extra heat you can add some LED or florescent lights. Keep in mind the brighter you light up the enclosure the more active your little guy will be. That's why others recommended the ambient light.

Yes, for right now it will be for the Russian, BUT in a week or so i'll be getting a Cherry Head Yearling.. Will this be okay for the baby too? I'm going to put some moss under a hide for the RF, with the same set up for temp housing.

Oh, so that's what the ambient lighting is for, gotcha, thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A redfoot also, huh?

I've housed Russians, never a redfoot. I can't say that my advice would work for that one, too. Hmmm..
I've housed leopards and would never house them the same as a Russian. Redfoot care is closer to a leopards IMO so I think you're looking at 2 different set up styles.

AnimalLady

oh goodness, well. this will just be for the cold days, there aren't many at all. I know Reds need more humidity which is why I'm going to add some moistened moss under the hide for days like this... but it wont be many days at all.

last night I brought in the Russian because it was pouring rain and I don't like him in that at all. So I brought him in with NO lights at all.. but I figured it was better than the damn rain! :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Come back here to look as it will take me a few minutes to download off of my phone.
It's a 20 gallon short tank with a plexiglass top that has a duct tape hinge.
There is an 18" 5.5 florescent strip light attached with screws to the inside of the top with vent holes in the plexiglass to keep the light from overheating and a 15 watt rope heater taped to the bottom of the outside of the glass. (Not really needed?)
I also use a tube of water with an aquarium air stone attached to an aquarium air pump to keep the humidity up. With this setup it's much easier to keep constant high humidity levels with less need to ad water to the substrate.
The substrate is Orchid bark covered with potting soil.

Attachments

• 20150918_174802.jpg
    20150918_174802.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20150918_174810.jpg
    20150918_174810.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20141108_172352.jpg
    20141108_172352.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is either Julio or Hercules as a baby. I forget who..
Also the hole in the top to vent the light fixture.
The whole "Heatrope" idea came about because I figured that it would warm from the bottom and send up evaporating moisture as humidity..I can't say if it works or not, just that it is a success as a whole.
I wouldn't use anything more than a 15 watt because I'd be afraid of it getting too hot. Maybe even braking the glass if cool water gets near it. Again. This is mounted on the OUTSIDE of the glass on the bottom. Thare are also little plastic strips to raise the bottom of the aquarium up about 10mm so that cool air can circulate.
This one has worked great. It is only slightly warm to the touch. Certainly not dangerous. Also, with a couple of inches of substrate, there is NO WAY that a baby could get near it even if it went crazy and got very hot.

Attachments

• 20140923_185227.jpg
    20140923_185227.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20141016_154449.jpg
    20141016_154449.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

AnimalLady

I understood everything all the way up till the air pump/air stone for humidity. Do you just have that tub of water inside the tank and just let it sit there? with the bubbles and air pump? The pictures are being really stupid to load for me.

So, I can get these same results by just misting the substrate with water periodically, yes?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I understood everything all the way up till the air pump/air stone for humidity. Do you just have that tub of water inside the tank and just let it sit there? with the bubbles and air pump? The pictures are being really stupid to load for me.

So, I can get these same results by just misting the substrate with water periodically, yes?
By pouring a little water into the corners of a closed chamber or by misting. Yes.
I only know one other person who also uses an air pump.
It is by no means what you must do. Just what I do.

AnimalLady

Oh yea, I know that, im just looking for the easiest method right now, that takes little to no room. My house is pretty small and I don't have a garage or covered patio, so most likely this guy will be sitting in my living room.

So for the RF I need to have a top on the enclosure to create moisture... ok will do

AnimalLady

How old is the tort in that pic? Did you house indoors till he got a lot bigger?