Eastern box turtles uvb vs sunlight

jakskillz

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
People who have raised ebts from hatchling to adults and have either chosen sunlight or just kept under a uvb light do you notice any difference in color or markings? Some say natural sunlight allows them to become brighter and more colorful with bolder blacks as well but i don't really see much data on either besides for the need for calcium absorption. Pics of your turtles always welcome :)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504060689.681369.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504060933.132086.jpg

She was kept exclusively indoors the first year w UVB. Second year, she was kept outdoors on warm days. Now she is kept outdoors all summer long. I think she is rather colorful. If I were to do it again, I'd raise her in an aquatic, or very muddy setup. Probably wouldn't have taken her outside the first two years. You can see what the lack of moisture did to her shell in the second pic. Should be completely smooth.

jakskillz

Georgia
For humidity I rigged a humidifier I bought off amazon with a hose so I can have some control. Plants give off water vapor under their leaves so a heavy planted setup will also help and provide a safer feeling environment for the turtle

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
For humidity I rigged a humidifier I bought off amazon with a hose so I can have some control. Plants give off water vapor under their leaves so a heavy planted setup will also help and provide a safer feeling environment for the turtle

Yes, that's great, but not just humidity. The enclosure needs to be wet. Substrate should be pretty muddy. If not whole enclosure, at least in certain areas.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
don't know about long term , but hatchlings seem to color up faster outside under natural sunlight ........