Effluent water on grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
I am needing some opinions or information on if it is safe for tortoises to graze on an area that has been irrigated with effluent water. No chemical fertilizers or weed killers have been used on the grass area. Thank you for the help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, what kind of waste water are you talking about? washing machine water? toilet water? dish water? It makes a difference.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Well, what kind of waste water are you talking about? washing machine water? toilet water? dish water? It makes a difference.

Water that has been processed through a sewage treatment plant. it is one step below potable water.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Would you let your kids play in it? If it is safe to discharge from the treatment center it should be just fine.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm not sure, but something pings possible heavy metal contaminants in my old brain.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No. At least I would not trust it. I believe that some things, like prescription drug chemicals, do not break down enough. My o-pine. Back up. Here is a link to read: http://www.watershedcouncil.org/learn/pharmacueticals-in-our-waters/

Here is the start of that article for others to be informed here:

Medicines in Our Waterways
The two main sources of pharmaceuticals in the environment are excretion and disposal. Most people flush their unused medicines down the toilet or sink. Sewage treatment plants are not designed to treat all the substances contained in medications. Although wastewater treatment plants are currently equipped to remove chemicals, foreign materials, and microorganisms from the water prior to ejecting it into natural waters, such as streams and lakes, active drug compounds from humans are not eliminated from the water in the treatment process. Treatment systems permit up to 93% of highly concentrated active drug compounds to leave the treatment plant. Therefore, most of these chemicals pass through the wastewater treatment facility (or they are processed through septic systems) and accumulate in rivers, lakes, ground water, and aquatic organisms. Even drugs thrown in the trash can eventually leach into the landfill and wind up in our ground water.

Many studies in the last ten years have detected pharmaceutical compounds in treated wastewater effluent, rivers, lakes, and ground water. According to the USGS, over 80% of waterways tested in the United States show traces of common medications such as acetaminophen, hormones, blood pressure medicine, codeine, and antibiotics. Samples from 139 streams in 30 states were analyzed during 1999 and 2000 for 95 chemicals and 82 of the 95 chemicals were detected at least once. Generally, these chemicals were found at very low concentrations (in most cases, less than 1 part per billion). Mixtures of the chemicals were common; 75 percent of the streams had more than one, 50 percent had 7 or more, and 34 percent had 10 or more.

The continuous exposure to low levels of pharmaceuticals can harm aquatic communities. (Read the rest on the site above).

Minority1

5 Year Member
There are different levels of effluent water. Irrigation wise, the United States treats effluent water to the secondary level which is still considered unsafe for human consumption. They also warn those who use reclaimed water for irrigation to place a sign on their property warning people not to drink from the irrigation system, and to not use it directly on fruits or vegetables.

Yes it can be safe if it's thoroughly treated. In the near future there will be more people accepting wastewater as viable drinking water besides Singapore. However we are not talking about this. We are solely talking about effluent water treated only for irrigation use. That I will not let my tortoises near, no thank you.

Not all effluent water is considered equal:

Primary - contains no more than 50 percent of the original solids
bullet no large debris
bullet can have a bad odor
bullet can contain pathogens
bullet not to be used for turf irrigation

Secondary
bullet slight odor
bullet more than 90 percent of solids removed
bullet coliform bacteria count of less than 23
bullet can be used to irrigate turf

Tertiary
bullet coliform bacteria less than 2.2
bullet no or low odor
bullet highly purified
bullet can be used for turf irrigation and other purposes

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
You'd need to know what's in it. If it's just nitrogenous waste, then that's basically just fertilizer for your lawn, and as long as it has seeped into the soil, it is safe. However, it could contain any number of pollutants: pesticides, herbicides, hormones, medicines, heavy metals, and microbes.

I wouldn't chance it. Not for any human or animal, including tortoises.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Oh no. We scared iluvtorts away. The moderators are probably thinking, hello hijackers, debate topic! Kinda. : 0
PS Turkey tail mushrooms .. and with that, I just turned tail and ran .... fast ...

You didnt scare me away. I didnt know the can of worms that I was opening. I was just wondering if it was safe. The area that I was wondering about is a public park. It looked like it would be a nice place to take my large sulcatas to wander and eat. I do appreciate all of the info.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The area that I was wondering about is a public park. It looked like it would be a nice place to take my large sulcatas to wander and eat. I do appreciate all of the info.

Well, I would suggest you speak to the superintendent of of the park. This is the person that would "usually" know if they use any chemicals on their turf....if they do not, that is a plus.

If you want to know what type of irrigation is used (source and method used--city water, river flood irrigation and such) that would also be a good person to inquire about that.

The only reason I say this is, that is usually the person that sets up the annual expense budget and they would know who is certified or not to handle distribution/spraying of such chemicals as well as this is the person that will now what watershed reps they deal with in obtaining and maintaining irrigation (water source) according to the required regulations for that city/county/facility....

A park is a place that looks like an "ideal" grazing location..and in some instances it can be...but in others it can prove to be fatal...so the research is entirely up to you and your efforts...:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ascott said:
The area that I was wondering about is a public park. It looked like it would be a nice place to take my large sulcatas to wander and eat. I do appreciate all of the info.

Well, I would suggest you speak to the superintendent of of the park. This is the person that would "usually" know if they use any chemicals on their turf....if they do not, that is a plus.

If you want to know what type of irrigation is used (source and method used--city water, river flood irrigation and such) that would also be a good person to inquire about that.

The only reason I say this is, that is usually the person that sets up the annual expense budget and they would know who is certified or not to handle distribution/spraying of such chemicals as well as this is the person that will now what watershed reps they deal with in obtaining and maintaining irrigation (water source) according to the required regulations for that city/county/facility....

A park is a place that looks like an "ideal" grazing location..and in some instances it can be...but in others it can prove to be fatal...so the research is entirely up to you and your efforts...:D

I agree here. Great advise. Most parks and recreation through city, county, federal etc... tend to utilize the best case scenario for the least amount of effort and lowest cost of maintenance. More bang for their buck. I would so much as to worry more of the pesticides, herbicides, and weed and feed additives used on the grass as a priority over the water used for the area in question. Both have very legitimate concern to your animals potential risk factor.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh good, iluvtorts. I am glad we heard back from you.

As you have read, my opinion, is a firm no! And now that you said public park it is a bigger NO! Public works departments in my area, my experience, are slap happy about things that are not good for our pets, or us. Round Up, for instance. That stuff is evil. I will not detour your thread more than I already have but I can share that COL (Ret) Don Huber and his team of scientists have warned the USDA to deaf ears. Of course, consider the head of Food Safety is a former VP at Monsanto, the maker and we see why government does hands on ears . A part of his letter to Tom Vilsack, Sec of Agriculture:

“A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals and probably human beings,”

For more all y'all, since it is off the track, google Dr. Huber, RoundUp, letter.

So iluvtorts, NOOOOOOO! Not at a public park because of water safety concerns and also possible use of things like Round Up by Parks staff (I guarantee you they do that over pulling weeds)! That is all. Amen.

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Oh good, iluvtorts. I am glad we heard back from you.

As you have read, my opinion, is a firm no! And now that you said public park it is a bigger NO! Public works departments in my area, my experience, are slap happy about things that are not good for our pets, or us. Round Up, for instance. That stuff is evil. I will not detour your thread more than I already have but I can share that COL (Ret) Don Huber and his team of scientists have warned the USDA to deaf ears. Of course, consider the head of Food Safety is a former VP at Monsanto, the maker and we see why government does hands on ears . A part of his letter to Tom Vilsack, Sec of Agriculture:

“A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals and probably human beings,”

For more all y'all, since it is off the track, google Dr. Huber, RoundUp, letter.

So iluvtorts, NOOOOOOO! Not at a public park because of water safety concerns and also possible use of things like Round Up by Parks staff (I guarantee you they do that over pulling weeds)! That is all. Amen.

I have talked to the parks dept, they dont fertilize or spray, but I have decided that it is not worth the risk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Note to iluvtorts:

I've removed several of the debate-type posts from your thread and they're in a holding pattern. If you and the other posters would like to continue the debate, I can put these posts into the debate section. Your call.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ascott said:

I DON'T recommend this. They lie. They tell you what they think you want to hear. They tell you what the "nice" answer is. And often the guy in charge doesn't even know what the minions do on a day to day basis.

I think the OP made the wise choice in deciding its not worth the risk.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Exactly right Tom. I think iluvtorts has decided no grazing in that location for his tortoise but I had exactly what you said happen in my city. I said no RoundUp near or around a butterfly garden my neighborhood and I planted. I happen to catch a young worker spraying it, someone's son recently hired mind you. I said hey, no way! He told me, I don't work for you. I then said, You are a civil servant not a civil serpent bucky. ... big drama ensued since I rushed in to the city manager's office enraged ... and exactly what you said, his supervisor had told him to not spray that area as we requested and he did it anyway so he would not have to pull the weeds and I, of all people, caught him! Yes, they lie. Dang this thread, I did it again. Sorry Yvonne!

Status
Not open for further replies.