Emergency (Injection/leg problem)

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
How is your tortoise now ? I just got mine to travel 2500 kms along with me. Had to take good care of them through out the travel. I wish air travels made carrying pets hassle free. Had to travel all along the road.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Just make sure he can retreat to deep shade when he’s out.

Torts can do the opposite of hibernation, called aestivation, when it is very hot. They go into a torpor to avoid the heat and will eat very little.

It’s best to put your tort out in the coolest part of the daylight hours when the weather is forecast to be over 25C, the UVB will be the same, and to make sure food is a available round the clock.

In the rare UK heatwaves, Joe could be found eating at dawn and dusk and sleep through the heat of the day.
Ok
And i do not keep him in hard sunlight
Just morning and evening
And he also got shed

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
How is your tortoise now ? I just got mine to travel 2500 kms along with me. Had to take good care of them through out the travel. I wish air travels made carrying pets hassle free. Had to travel all along the road.
He is fighting his own battle
Sometime i wish that if he can make sound then it will be easy.
But i love him as he is....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thnx
But i dont think that this is a normal
I have to search for vet which is impossible for my tort
Because here is not any qualified vet abailable for cookie

I think it’s actually illegal to keep tortoises in India ... to try to stop a scarce species being taken from the wild... which is why vets are near impossible to find. :(

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
I think it’s actually illegal to keep tortoises in India ... to try to stop a scarce species being taken from the wild... which is why vets are near impossible to find. :(

Yes. I think almost all native species in India are illegal to keep. Star Torts and IRN Parakeet to name some. Had they controlled the massive illegal exports of these animals, this wouldn't have happened.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Hi
I got a vet and he told me that cookie has a little crack in his behind leg and he gave meds
But he doesnt like to eat it
And if i try to mix it with its food he abondon the food
Can anyone suggest the way to make him eat the meds or the examples of force feeds?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi
I got a vet and he told me that cookie has a little crack in his behind leg and he gave meds
But he doesnt like to eat it
And if i try to mix it with its food he abondon the food
Can anyone suggest the way to make him eat the meds or the examples of force feeds?

Is it possible to grind up the medicine and sprinkle it on the food? Or is it a liquid?
Definitely wait for a second opinion.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
I grind it and give him but he refuses
And by liquid i have to mix the tablets with the water so i think the most part of the medicines can not make in his body
There not any liquid
Dr. Says that if i can give the tablets by the liquid but for that i need the tube for infants but again he doesnt open his mouth
I screwed...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I grind it and give him but he refuses
And by liquid i have to mix the tablets with the water so i think the most part of the medicines can not make in his body
There not any liquid
Dr. Says that if i can give the tablets by the liquid but for that i need the tube for infants but again he doesnt open his mouth
I screwed...
@Dipa Please try to keep your posts in one place about issues as it is hard to go back and forth and see what was already said in different places. What is the medication? What is the recommended dose from the vet? It would be good to know how much you are talking about having to get the little tortoise to eat at one time.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Bribery is usually the best way. Mash with forbidden irresistible food like strawberry. Yes, we don’t normally recommend fruit, but needs must!
He doesnt do well with bribery
I try to give him with tomatoes because it is his fav
But he refuses to eat it

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
@Dipa Please try to keep your posts in one place about issues as it is hard to go back and forth and see what was already said in different places. What is the medication? What is the recommended dose from the vet? It would be good to know how much you are talking about having to get the little tortoise to eat at one time.
Sorry if i confuse you
But it is about the leg problem which is cause by the injection so i have to technically post it here

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
It is not much dosage just a little pill
And some.calcium powder

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Calcium powder needs to be sprinkled very sparingly on food otherwise it is detected and won’t be eaten. Fortunately a tort only needs a tiny amount 3 days a week.

Can you get hold of cuttlebone (the bone of cuttlefish that people put in bird cages)? Some torts like chomping on those and they are a great alternative to calcium powder.

You are probably going to have to take the same approach with the pill. Grind it up very finely and use a tiny amount with a big piece of tomato.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
It is not much dosage just a little pill
What for? Do you know the name of the pills?
Is it a pain killer? Or antibiotics? Anti-inflammatory drug? Are you sure the pills are medically sensible and could help heal a crack in the bone? :confused: