EMERGENCY!!!! (overheated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I will look the for the original PDF from which I read on shocking a reptile from heat-cool too fast. It applies to mammals/humans too. In this scenario I don't think it would of been a problem. But most can knee jerk react and play them in an ice bath which can cause serious issues. This article kinda sums of what that article I read was about. Its not 100% pertained to the issue. But I recall a "systemic inflammation" sort of reaction when extreme temperatures were drastically changed.

It gets in waaay over my head for sure. Especially when it gets into what organs and nervous systems do when temperatures are overly heated or cooled and how they are affected, I will try to find the original that pertained to tortoises and definitely shoot it over to yah. Good stuff to read for sure. I believe it was prichard that authored it, if I recall.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15970487

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Dars mom- thank u... He's doing great now... I started putting him under his lamp over winter because I didn't want him to get an Ri n the water always felt pretty chilly to me ... One small detail that was overlooked could have easily taken his life... I'm so glad that my experience may have prevented a potentially tragic mishap for ur baby... Yvonne made a great point... Even though the water may feel cool to us, it may b the perfect temp for them as r body temps r much higher... I went out n bought 3 new thermometers so I won't have to guess anymore... Good luck w/ur baby :)

Status
Not open for further replies.