Enclosure in progress

Ruffinions

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire U.K.
We are building an indoor enclosure for our Russian tortoise, we have an outdoor space for him in summer but as the weather is not great here in the north of UK we keep him inside often. This is the build so far, the lid will be in two halves, one with the lights and one half removable, the opening at the front is for the glass doors. We will put a lino base down and the substrate will be sterilised top soil. Do you have any suggestions or can you see any problems? Size is 5’ x 3’.
Thanks

Attachments

• 112EC1F4-A72A-4BB3-966A-439FA3028A9D.jpeg
    112EC1F4-A72A-4BB3-966A-439FA3028A9D.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 18

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How old/big is your tort?
I don't think topsoil is generally recommended for substrate.
This is the most up to date caresheet which will give you the best options and advice for set ups.
Russians like to dig so make sure you have enough depth of substrate for that .
Apologies if you've already thought of this but don't forget you'll need a tort safe sealant to stop leakage under the lino.

Ruffinions

Yorkshire U.K.
Hi Lyn

Thanks for replying, Troy is currently around 3.5 inches long and ~ 5 years old but was from a pet store so unsure of exact age. I Have looked over the recommended care sheet several times but have also seen several discussions where top soil is reported to be ok and we have had him in top soil for several years now. I will however do a bit more reading on the matter. I was hoping to use a large enough lino that I can just fold the corners and so not need any sealant but I have yet to try this
Thanks again

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi...I use a plain shower curtain liner stapled in place. This is one of my tables, right now this holds just 1 adult box turtle. There's about a foot or so of fine grade orchid bark. It's 5'x2.5' , the lid is in 2 halves for weight...
View attachment 337556
Nice job, Maggie

Ruffinions

Yorkshire U.K.
Hi...I use a plain shower curtain liner stapled in place. This is one of my tables, right now this holds just 1 adult box turtle. There's about a foot or so of fine grade orchid bark. It's 5'x2.5' , the lid is in 2 halves for weight...
View attachment 337556
View attachment 337556
Hi Maggie, looks good! Do you have any additional ambient lighting such as led’s in your enclosure or is it just the basking lamp?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi Maggie, looks good! Do you have any additional ambient lighting such as led’s in your enclosure or is it just the basking lamp?
I'm old fashioned and poor so I use an incandescent 65 watt bulb and a che. In the warmer weather they live outside in a in a pond area so my inside box turtles and closures are really not very fancy just functional...