Enclosure shot

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My Redfoots are really loving their enclosure. When they're not burrowed under the moss, they walk around nibbling on trailing moss and succulent. They sniff things, then hide under some leaves. Too cute! :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1396526306.828252.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
that looks like a yellowfoot on the right ,is it ?...beautiful, can you show more angles?...would love to try a second level myself.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
edwardbo said:
that looks like a yellowfoot on the right ,is it ?...beautiful, can you show more angles?...would love to try a second level myself.

yeah! ! !

Please show us more picture. My friend is building his new enclosure for his Yellow foots. He may learn from you. Thanks.

abclements

5 Year Member
I thought the same thing about it being a yellow foot... If you zoom in really close, you can see that the nose scale is one solid scale, which is a defining characteristic of a red foot. A yellow foot has 2 scales that make up the last scale on their nose. So just a really light red foot, which is pretty neat to see!

I don't know how to link from my phone, but if you go to the red and yellow foot section there is a really good thread that is stickied to the top of that section that shows the differences between the two species.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I've got some better pics on Pinterest. If you type TorT Resort in the search bar. That's the name of my board. :)

This is actually a temporary enclosure. Once they gain an inch or two, we're building a much bigger one. Fairly easy though. :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1396537135.273369.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396537153.190669.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396537179.059233.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396537197.812782.jpg

I'm making a tent like tip out of sheer painters/garden tarp. And I have a fogger on the way. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon

what are some of the plants if you don't mind me asking you are giving me great idea's for my new enclosure

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
naturalman91 said:

what are some of the plants if you don't mind me asking you are giving me great idea's for my new enclosure

I used the tortoise table as a reference. http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plant_database_14.asp

I bought the plants at local garden stores and tried to find organic. I shook the fertilized dirt off the roots, and washed them to try to prevent toxin ingestion from the fertilizer.

I found lots of plants on amazon too. :)

In order from left to right: bromeliad, Begonia, red maranta, the purple leafy one is Snow White, succulent, and trailing moss, and the one growing to the upper deck is hibiscus.

I've read that torts really like "rose of Sharon".

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I put 6" of organic topsoil down. No fertilized soil. Then I bought the zoo med forest floor and put that down mixed with zoo med coconut coir. About " of that. I put such a depth because I have a heat may under the substrate and plastic bin and I didn't want the dirt TOO warm.

The zoo med heat mat suggests NOT putting it under plastic. But from by observations, with that much dirt to warm, it seems ok. And is in no way shape or form melting the plastic.

Then I kinda threw dried moss everywhere and tucked it in between the plants to help hold in moisture.

The sphagnum moss you can get in any garden or floral part of the store. But you have to make sure it's not "treated" with anything/chemicals because I've caught my torts eating it periodically.

tortoisemommy79zx

Idaho, USAa
christinaland128 said:
My Redfoots are really loving their enclosure. When they're not burrowed under the moss, they walk around nibbling on trailing moss and succulent. They sniff things, then hide under some leaves. Too cute! :)

I really really love your enclosure! I want to build one like that!