Enclosure

Dipa

Location (City and/or State)
Mahesana,Gujarat,India
So i have an indian star tortoise cookie. And he is 3 inches long . I ordered the enclosure as per tge image.
Can anybody give me the measures to make it?
And the design i look is from net so if any eroors plz correct me...

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
That's a nice beautiful enclosure you've got. And it has a hiding space too.

Just make sure to place it such that it gets a couple of hours of direct sunlight
I saw it
And now give the order to make it
Mostly it will remain same and i also place it where the direct sunlight comes

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Dipa That open enclosure will not be a good choice for a young star. Even though you live in India, the "climate" created in an enclosure like that is way too dry for your tortoise. I linked it in another post, but here again, please read this and see what I recommend for an enclosure:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Also, sunlight coming through a window or screen will not have the benefit your tortoise needs. In fact, it will often lead to too much of a hot spot in the enclosure like you have shown. Next to a window is subject to too much temperature variations, and not a good choice for that reason as well. You, and your tortoise, will be much happier if you make some type of closed enclosure where you can better control heat and humidity. Star tortoises thrive in warm, humid conditions.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
@Dipa That open enclosure will not be a good choice for a young star. Even though you live in India, the "climate" created in an enclosure like that is way too dry for your tortoise. I linked it in another post, but here again, please read this and see what I recommend for an enclosure:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Also, sunlight coming through a window or screen will not have the benefit your tortoise needs. In fact, it will often lead to too much of a hot spot in the enclosure like you have shown. Next to a window is subject to too much temperature variations, and not a good choice for that reason as well. You, and your tortoise, will be much happier if you make some type of closed enclosure where you can better control heat and humidity. Star tortoises thrive in warm, humid conditions.
In iur country the wrather is always hot and the sun is mostly out..
So i want him in proper sunlight which is not possible with closed enclosure
Today for substrate i buy coco coir
And some grass for its enclosure

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
I am not puting him near the window or screen that reflect sunlight
I need an proper enclosure where he can find natural sunlight

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
In iur country the wrather is always hot and the sun is mostly out..
So i want him in proper sunlight which is not possible with closed enclosure
Today for substrate i buy coco coir
And some grass for its enclosure

You certainly have the choice to set things up as you wish. I just wanted to warn you of the problems I used to experience and now see all the time with others posting concerns about their stars in India. You will end up with a pyramided tortoise if kept in that enclosure - in India. I would use a good enclosed and humid chamber, and then use an enclosure like you have pictured for outside time about 1-2 hours a few times a week. that would be plenty of sunshine for D3 production. Just be careful with an enclosure in the sun. There must be shade areas as it can overheat quickly. A young tortoise can overheat quickly and die easily.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
You certainly have the choice to set things up as you wish. I just wanted to warn you of the problems I used to experience and now see all the time with others posting concerns about their stars in India. You will end up with a pyramided tortoise if kept in that enclosure - in India. I would use a good enclosed and humid chamber, and then use an enclosure like you have pictured for outside time about 1-2 hours a few times a week. that would be plenty of sunshine for D3 production. Just be careful with an enclosure in the sun. There must be shade areas as it can overheat quickly. A young tortoise can overheat quickly and die easily.
Now i am confused again...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Now i am confused again...
Please take the time to read through my post I linked for you. It is pinned to the top of this section - "How to raise a Healthy Star Tortoise". I think it will help you understand my recommendation above better. Then come back with any other questions.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Please take the time to read through my post I linked for you. It is pinned to the top of this section - "How to raise a Healthy Star Tortoise". I think it will help you understand my recommendation above better. Then come back with any other questions.
I know
But the climates weathers are different for us.

N

no one

Hi Dipa, it is quite simple. You need the closed enclosure for your humidity. You can not get that in an open top enclosure. *smile*
I really like your Star!! It is one of my favourite species. And of course naturel sunlight is best. You can still give your Star a few hours of that a few times a week.
And as for soaking, 30 mins at least is best. Good luck with your Cookie!!

Oh and my daughter loves BTS two. Lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know
Yes, the weather is different, but you're setting up an artificial weather enclosure. If the tortoise were allowed to wander the wilds of India, do you think he would choose to live in a small box like area, right out in the open? No, he would find some shade or a bush to shelter under. And under that bush, he would have more humidity than out in the open in the sun. Mark is trying to help you grow a smooth healthy Star tortoise. Whether in India or the U.S., if you follow his direction, your tortoise will thank you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know

That is very important in designing an outdoor enclosure, but even then, the type of substrate and amount of plants and hides will still dramatically change temperatures and humidity in the enclosure over what the weather stations report as the official temperature and humidity. Thick of sitting on a patio in the sun - it is much hotter and drier than the actual weather reading would be for the area.

Where you live is also very dry this time of year. It averages about 25% humidity. Although you are close to where the Northern stars live in the wild, they are in areas that are much more humid and will hide in the drier times.

Indoors is also very different than outside conditions. And even more so in a small, open enclosure under artificial lights and heat sources. You have to create the proper conditions and that is most easily done in an enclosure that is not open.

N

no one

Hi Dipa, it is quite simple. You need the closed enclosure for your humidity. You can not get that in an open top enclosure. *smile*
I really like your Star!! It is one of my favourite species. And of course naturel sunlight is best. You can still give your Star a few hours of that a few times a week.

Grrr, I hate making mistakes!! This popped up in my mind.Two is just too. As in "ook" not 2. Sorry... I have to correct. It's my Autism.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Yes, the weather is different, but you're setting up an artificial weather enclosure. If the tortoise were allowed to wander the wilds of India, do you think he would choose to live in a small box like area, right out in the open? No, he would find some shade or a bush to shelter under. And under that bush, he would have more humidity than out in the open in the sun. Mark is trying to help you grow a smooth healthy Star tortoise. Whether in India or the U.S., if you follow his direction, your tortoise will thank you.
Ok
Thnx
I will try to do thst

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
That is very important in designing an outdoor enclosure, but even then, the type of substrate and amount of plants and hides will still dramatically change temperatures and humidity in the enclosure over what the weather stations report as the official temperature and humidity. Thick of sitting on a patio in the sun - it is much hotter and drier than the actual weather reading would be for the area.

Where you live is also very dry this time of year. It averages about 25% humidity. Although you are close to where the Northern stars live in the wild, they are in areas that are much more humid and will hide in the drier times.

Indoors is also very different than outside conditions. And even more so in a small, open enclosure under artificial lights and heat sources. You have to create the proper conditions and that is most easily done in an enclosure that is not open.
Ok
I will try
I am just afraid of the side effect of the uvb uva bulbs
And i also want to keep him in sunlight
So can u reccomend something?

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India

Yeah
Noted
I will try to do that

I love BTS and i adore them
''We are army'' say that to your daughter

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Ok
So i think i have to make two enclosure for my baby
One is for indoor and other for outdoor