Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temper13

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am planning to redo my whole back yard, well I haven't really done the backyard yet. But am wondering if railroad tile(those long wooden block used for the train tracks) are strong enough to hold back the tortoise when full grown or will I have to stake them to ground one on top of each other? I do have 3 citrus trees in the area, you think they will cause a problem? It be nice to see more ZONERS(Arizona people) posting there enclosures and what plants they are using. I'd like to set up some nice plants in the landscape that will be good in Arizona and yummy for my babies.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Central WI
Rail road ties are not recommended due to the toxins they are soaked in to prevent rot.

I rented a trench hole digger and sunk a 4ft. (untreated) wooden fence down 12inches to stop any burrowing (in or out). This set up real slick.
What kind of tort do you have?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Temper13 - check the enclosure section where you find a couple of enclosure where railroad ties were used. The issue with them is the creosote (sp?) - some believe it is not a problem for torts, others concerned about the toxins if torts consume it. I'm sure you'll other opinions here.

temper13

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have 2 sulcata tortoises and was planning to use the railroad ties to block off there own area. Which leaves me to another concern. I have a huge bush(not sure what it is), which my thinking is that it would be good shelter for the tortoises during the summer times. But it sounds like the tortoises would eat everything they see, is this true or would they just eat or sense to there liking? Should I block off the bushes or would Rocky and Becky be fine using it for shelter?

Thx for your guys replies

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sulcatas are great diggers. You should really dig something into the ground. I used rebar that I hammered in approx. 2' deep. I don't like the idea of the RR ties due to the chemicals they are treated with. Also, you need to post some pics of the bush so we can try to help you identify it so that we make sure it is not toxic. Building an outdoor enclosure is lots of fun once you figure out your design! Good Luck!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
We slightly buried treated 2x4's and placed 1x12's two high on top of them and then used concrete form supports to brace the boards. We used those instead of re bar because of the holes in the bars. You can nail or screw them into place and remove easily as well. Easier to pound into the ground as well. but pricier then rebar...
Depending on the type of torts you have, you could get away with much less. I have sulcatas.
So far no digging out, no testing of barriers.. not a whole lot planted in there besides tall grasses, weeds...they did dig a small burrow in the tall grass in one area.

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
zoner's! that's the sickest name i have ever heard for an arizonian! kudos

Status
Not open for further replies.