Epic fail

Pjfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Nh usa
Note: you may have strong opinions regarding what I am posting. Please be kind.

Ok, so we have had Rocky for a few months. He is healthy prob 5 month old RT. He is not happy. He eats, sleeps and paces all the time. I know because I have a wifi camera on him.
He is not too much work. We just didn't understand how much room he would need. I am stressed that he is not in an optimal situation. He has an insuffient habitat. It is a glass 30 gal tank. I get it, it's too small. I havectried and strategized possuble options and we just don't have room for a 4x6 habitat in our house or any type of bigger replacement "box" type of enclosure.

He is currently in our son's room but he complains about the red light we have on Rocky at night and the noises Rocky makes at night (I think banging on the enclosure wall).

I love Rocky but I regret the decision to adopt him. We live in New England and he can't be outside for months, if ever depending on temps.

I am sad but feel like we are not a good family fit for him. There is a rescue a few hours away but I don't think they will accept him.

I have read all of the care sheets, he is doing well physically but should I be worrying about Rocky's mental state? Mine?

Please, only helpful, encouraging comments please. I have read posts by members that threaten death due to poor care and I certainly don't want to contribute to Rocky's demise. That is what I am trying to avoid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to struggle through the rest of this bad weather period, then plan on an outside enclosure when better weather arrives. Next winter the tortoise can hibernate, and that means no indoor enclosure from now on!!! Oh Joy!! Russian tortoises do pretty well in cooler weather. And once it starts to cool down and he's ready to hibernate (we'll help you when that time comes), you just box him up and put the box in a cool, dark, quiet, safe place until he wakes up in the spring.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You can also try to make a second story. It would give you almost double the space. Rats love to climb so going up a ramp is exciting for them. It may work for you.
P.s. I don’t really think you are failing him. You seem to care and are attentive to his needs, just need help with some ideas. Hang in there, try some different things. Don’t give up, you can do it!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tortoises are attracted to the color red so he will be additionally agitated at night by that bulb. If your night temps are under 65 degrees, you can add a ceramic heat emitter (mentioned above) which puts out heat but no light.

Also, Rocky is a wild caught adult or nearly so; he’s not five months old. That’s all they sell at Petco; he might get an inch or two bigger over a few years but that’s it.

Why do you think the rescue won’t accept him?