Ernie is sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I don't know why he is like this. Ernie's temps have not changed, I have not moved his enclosure around, I havn't changed his diet, I havn't changed his substrate, I havn't changed his lighting, and he hasn't had any weird "incidents" lately. He poos every day or other day, and urates every other day [he was having urates everyday and then I cut back on his soaking, now happens about ever other day]. I know he is getting enough hydration as well because when he does urate, the clear liquid that comes with it is a lot, like normal, as it always has been. He does not have diarrhea, his breathing is fine, and his eyes are bright and clear. He has been sleeping A LOT. I pull him out of bed in the mornings for his breakfast, or soaks, and after which, he goes back to bed [or maybe will bask for a short period of time]. Sometimes he doesn't want to eat, and sometimes he eats like a pig. Yesterday he pigged out on his breakfast, and this morning he won't eat. Its become kind of a pattern of eating, then not eating. Some days he seems in a better "mood" than other days. Some mornings he won't eat when I place him in front of his food, but then will come back to eat later in the day.
The only thing that has changed, is what time I do my daily "routine" with him in the mornings. I've begun waking up about an hour or two later than what I used to, so his bath, and breakfast and such comes later in the morning.

Does it sound like something is wrong? Or is he just in a weird tortoise mood?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think it was Yvonne or Maggie that posted that some tortoises simply "sense" the winter season and adjust their snoozy time accordingly!;)

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I did see that..but I'm just so worried =/ Has Taco showed any signs of knowing its Winter?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hah! I am still so new to tortoise keeping, and Taco is so new to proper tortoise care, that I really don't know what her "regular" habits are going to be!

She hardly eats anything, no matter what I feed her or how fine I chop it/don't chop it, she never drinks that I can see, except sometimes when she is in her Stephanie-operated jacuzzi, she sleeps most of the day either under her basking light, or under her CHE, or in her hay-fillled hide. When it's warm enough, and I let her spend some time on the sunporch floor or out on the deck, she gets pretty energetic and tries to ram through the glass doors or takes off at a tortoise sprint for the garden that she remembers so fondly from last summer...that is now covered in snow.:p

Ask me again this time next year when I've had more time to observe!;)

I'm sure one of the experienced keepers of Russians will post soon to put your mind at ease...:D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How old is Ernie? Nelson used to sleep almost all day- he would literally be awake for 2 hours a day, if that. But he's a hatchling and he has become much more active as he gets older.
It would make sense that they sense it's the winter and act a little more sluggish.
I suppose it's possible that the change in routine might have thrown him off a little ?

If his eyes are clear, his poop is normal, and his breathing is fine, those are all good signs! I would try not to worry!

Hopefully one of the more experienced RT owners will put your mind at ease! I know what it's like to be really worried about our little guys!

eta: One more question- when you wake him up for breakfast do you soak him first? I find that if I wake Nelson up from his deep slumber and place him in front of his food then he's not very interested. If I let him wake up on his own or soak him first, it gives him a chance to wake up a little before eating.

M

Maggie Cummings

The answer is....WINTER. Stephanie, the inexperienced tort keeper is right. She needs more confidence in what she knows!!! The quality of light is different and they can sense it. Of course unless he's sick...:)

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Katie - I don't know exactly how old, but the vet said between 1-5 years, so I decided he's 3 :) And I do soak him before he gets breakfast, but sometimes he goes back to sleep in his bath

Maggie - Thank you so much! I was hoping that was the case. I try to keep him up, but he is a persistent sleeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.