Ethical Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Yes..Actually she turned 59 this year... AS WELl as she has a 35 year old son. My hubby.
Long story short, My hubby was conceived with her using fertility drugs.
She never had a "cycle" until she went into menopause and then boom. She was pregnant. She tried for 20 years before that.

I then when she got pregnant her husband divorced her after 25 years. took the child away from her and left her on her streets. She lost it, drove into the old house with her car, cut up all the furniture with a knife. She still only has her 11 yr old 2 days a week. And if his dad passes Me and my hubby get custody, not her.

I know to much info...sorry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow...that is so sad. When we think we have troubles I guess we just have to remember someone always has it worse than we do. I feel so sorry for her child too.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It's not yours... especially if you took it in with the intent of allowing it to go back to it's rightful owner.

I do this all the time... Every adoption I take in comes with the stipulation that the owner can get it back anytime.

The other thing that bothers me... judging another.

terracolson said:
Ethical delimma:...

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Hi Terra,
Possibly offering to buy the tortoise as someone already suggested might not be a bad idea, because you have lived up to your end of the 'bargain' (fostering the tortoise to this point)-- but by also putting the offer on the table to buy it from her, you may be giving her an option she might appreciate. She certainly has the freewill to choose to take you up on the offer or not. But, as another suggested, it may be that all you can do is try to educate her on how to better care for this tortoise if you are asked to return it. Regardless, you are to be commended for recognizing a situation that is not in the tortoise's best interest and caring enough to make it better (in my opinion, it is not about passing judgment on her, but is about the situation). Best wishes and good luck to you as you sort this out, Jenny Dawn

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well So far she hasnt come to get him, nor has she even asked about him. He is the only one not hibernating now. Its like he is waiting for her.

So now if he does start hibernating, it is ok if she takes him home right?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
-EJ said:
It's not yours... especially if you took it in with the intent of allowing it to go back to it's rightful owner.

I do this all the time... Every adoption I take in comes with the stipulation that the owner can get it back anytime.

Sorry Ed, but I have to disagree. I hope the woman does what's best for the tortoise, ownership or not!

I see kids who have gone from foster care back to incompetent parents, because biological ("ownership") relationships are given top priority, NOT what's best for the child...:(

I can and do make judgments and form opinions from that faulty rationale.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How long does it take for under the law for it to be considered abandoned? I am loath to suggest breaking laws, even for a good reason usually have unintended results. Just my 2 cents.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Your judgement is better than mine or the next person?

That's why chelonian types are solitary entities.

You don't know the circumstance. The person describing that circumstance on this list could be biasing the story.

In one case where I sold a guy some leopards years ago... he went through a divorce. He couldn't take care of the tortoises. He gave them back to me. They turned out to be two males but a year or two later he asked for one back... luckily for me it was the one I didn't want.

The point... who are you to judge what is best for the animal.

I've had my run ins with child protective services. Over judgemental people are more of a menace than anything else.

Stephanie Logan said:
-EJ said:

Sorry Ed, but I have to disagree. I hope the woman does what's best for the tortoise, ownership or not!

I see kids who have gone from foster care back to incompetent parents, because biological ("ownership") relationships are given top priority, NOT what's best for the child...:(

I can and do make judgments and form opinions from that faulty rationale.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Let me step in here regarding being judgments. There are always two sides to a story. terracolson is trying to do the best thing for the tort and is torn between what is right for it and what is right by law? No one should be judging the mother that is not what this thread was really about. I know I work with people everyday that have made bad judgments and acted on them and suffered the consequences of those actions. Sometimes its anger, sometimes a chemical imbalance, sometimes other issues. But none of us are here to judge mom, or any one else.

Terracolson, I applaud you for trying to do the right thing. I would treat him as my tort for now. If she comes back and asks for him talk with her try and reason with her for the best of the tort. I agree with Terry K and Jacqui (an anyone else who advised you to ) tell the truth at least with that you can never go wrong. Good luck. She may not even contact you for it back. Also if she does I would let her know if he is hibernating it is best to not disturb him until spring. I know I do not move any of mine once they are hibernating. Nor do any of the CTTC members I know of.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yes, my judgment is better.

When given the options of being kept under conditions recommended by this forum versus being kept on the floor, under the fridge, possibly being given away to a stranger, as several puppies have, or traveling around with a homeless woman, I absolutely and with no reservations make the judgment that the former is best for the tortoise.

Where would we be as a society if no one ever acted upon their good judgment when an animal's well-being is at stake? Do you oppose the SPCA because they make judgments about the unsuitability of a home?

You don't know the circumstance. The person describing that circumstance on this list could be biasing the story.

In one case where I sold a guy some leopards years ago... he went through a divorce. He couldn't take care of the tortoises. He gave them back to me. They turned out to be two males but a year or two later he asked for one back... luckily for me it was the one I didn't want.

I've had my run ins with child protective services. Over judgemental people are more of a menace than anything else.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
In some cases I do.

If a person is acting on true judgement... that might work.

There are people who look at it as a job and there are no grey areas. There are rules and nothing more.

This is the same with the general population.

A Tortoise running loose might not be acceptable to some but would be to others. In fact... it might be better off because it has more control.

Another point... your 'rules' are not the same as mine... who's right.

Stephanie Logan said:
You are right.

When given the options of being kept under conditions recommended by this forum versus being kept on the floor, under the fridge, possibly being given away to a stranger, as several puppies have, or traveling around with a homeless woman, I absolutely and with no reservations make the judgment that the former is best for the tortoise.

Where would we be as a society if no one ever acted up their good judgment when an animal's well-being is at stake? Do you oppose the SPCA because they make judgments about the unsuitability of a home?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
-EJ said:
Your judgement is better than mine or the next person?

Clearly, everyone on this forum wants whats best for the tortoise.

We're giving Terra our opinions based on the information we have. Ultimately, its on her to do what she thinks is right. In the end, we have no say over what happens to this tort because its between Terra and her mother-in-law, so I see no harm in us judging the situation as we see it.

Here's my chelonian-type judgemental opinion of the situation given the info we have:

I don't have to know the tortoise's owner to know that letting a tortoise run loose around a house is not in the tortoise's best interest. Its obvious to me. That may be my opinion, but opinions are what forums are all about (of course, thats my opinion as well :) ). If the mother-in-law hasn't picked up the tort yet, she's probably not going to. If she does come back for it and Terra explains that she believes the tort is better off outdoors in a secure backyard, then her mother-in-law may agree and allow her to keep it. Most owners want whats best for their pets.

-EJ said:
In some cases I do.

If a person is acting on true judgement... that might work.

There are people who look at it as a job and there are no grey areas. There are rules and nothing more.

This is the same with the general population.

A Tortoise running loose might not be acceptable to some but would be to others. In fact... it might be better off because it has more control.

Another point... your 'rules' are not the same as mine... who's right.

We live in shades of grey. I wish more people in the general population would realize that as well. As this is a forum, everyone should be able to express their opinions (or their rules) whether you agree with those opinions or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe the offer of $$ would hold some interest for the mother. Offer what you can afford, and offer to buy the tortoise.

Yvonne

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I believe there are two sides to every story, though to be fair I am inclined to beleive terrya over the other woman, call me biased if you like. :) I just believe that no matter how noble our intentions are, just keeping it and breaking the law is not good. I also believe that we all care about tortoises and want what is best for them, that is why I was curious about how long before legally a tortoise might be considered abandoned, that way a tort can get a new and happy life and no one has to break the law. Of course offering to but the tortoise is also a good idea, that way you can get the turtle, there won't be any hurt feelings and everyone goes awa happy.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I believe there are two sides to every story, though to be fair I am inclined to beleive terrya over the other woman, call me biased if you like. :) I just believe that no matter how noble our intentions are, just keeping it and breaking the law is not good. I also believe that we all care about tortoises and want what is best for them, that is why I was curious about how long before legally a tortoise might be considered abandoned, that way a tort can get a new and happy life and no one has to break the law. Of course offering to but the tortoise is also a good idea, that way you can get the turtle, there won't be any hurt feelings and everyone goes awa happy.

"legally" - usually abandoned "personal property" (sorry, that's what a tortoise would be considered) is the owners until legal notice is published or served stating that the "property" is considered abandoned and must be claimed by a certain date or it will be "sold" or offered to others. That's why you see public notices from Storage facilities before they sell the contents of unpaid or abandoned storage contents.

In Terracolson's case, I suggested she start tracking and charging a "boarding" fee for that reason, others have suggested similar ideas - so Terracolson - start keeping a log of the costs (including a value on your time in caring for the tortoise). If and when your mother-in-law wants him back you can show her the costs involve and either ask her for the reimbursement or allow you to keep the tortoise, if that is what you prefer.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well He is down for the count. Its been a few days since i seen him come out of his home.
She will come back some time, i also have all her clothes and other belongings, but it seems that she wont get an apt as soon as she wants and currently is living with a boyfriend.

So If When she returns, This winter, i will explain to her that he is sleeping with a few of my other russian, burring deep in 5 ft of leaves and i am not NOT disturbing the herd for her.

She will have to wait till spring to get him back. Period.

In the spring when he awakes, she can drive another 6 hours for him. hump!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I agree with everyone else,I have been in the same situation and i just told him i had grown attached to the tort plus i did tell a white lie on how much the treatment was gonna be. Just tell her if she keeps the tort it is gonna die as she isnt caring for it,also tell her how much it will cost to put special lighting, heating,food, and housing will cost. I find that usualy does the trick. Good luck to you both.Keep us informed.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Remember a "free" tortoise or turtle is seldom free.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Update!!!!

Well CoCo is awake and she just got a place this month!!! Then she pawned her car, so she cant come up here to get him!
Plus she doesnt want to take care of him, so we can keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.