Extremely disappointed

Tortoise Lover10

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I'm not sure what everyone else's experience was like buying from Tortoise Town, but mine was absolutely terrible! About a week after receiving the one year old Greek tortoise we ordered, it became ill. We contacted Tortoise Town several times and after eventually receiving a very curt response about it's symptoms, we never heard back from them again. To our absolute horror the Vet told us that it was infact not a Greek tortoise and that it was at least 5 years old (not 1 like told) and was most likely taken from the wild. It died 2 days later. It is shocking to me that companies like these get away with treating animals in this way.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Unfortunately this kind of thing is pretty common with Tortoise Town.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I got my Western Hermann tortoise from them. I am one of the few who probably received the "correct" tortoise that wasn't sick. I'm very sorry for your loss. When you are ready there are good breeders on the forum.

Tortoise Lover10

Georgia
I have little hope of getting my money back from these people and, as much as that frustrates me, I can still live with that. But what really angers me is that, as an animal lover, there are companies out there that do not care one bit about the animals they sell and that these poor creatures must endure the misery they are subjected to. What concerns me is that there are so many uninformed people out there (such as myself) that will unwittingly keep supporting these companies, thereby perpetuating the problem of unethical animal trade. Having read many online reviews and forums lately, I am horrified at how common this is. I am determined not to let these people get away with it, and have subsequently left many reviews on numerous sites, including filing a complaint with the BBB, but all this is insufficient. I want to take this further, but I am unsure which avenue to pursue next, since I have learned that reptiles are not included in the Animal Welfare Act (which is ridiculous). Are there other agencies i can get in touch with? In the hopes of affecting actual, meaningful change (however small), if anyone reading this thread has any more information or can share this with those that do, please let me know. At the very least, I want Tortoise Town to feel some heat, they should not get a free pass to do what they do.

WyoTorts13

Cody, Wyoming
I'm not sure what everyone else's experience was like buying from Tortoise Town, but mine was absolutely terrible! About a week after receiving the one year old Greek tortoise we ordered, it became ill. We contacted Tortoise Town several times and after eventually receiving a very curt response about it's symptoms, we never heard back from them again. To our absolute horror the Vet told us that it was infact not a Greek tortoise and that it was at least 5 years old (not 1 like told) and was most likely taken from the wild. It died 2 days later. It is shocking to me that companies like these get away with treating animals in this way.
I just had a bad experience with them also, they advertise animals they don't have, charge your card then just keep putting you off, never received anything, then they want 20 percent cancellation fees Foran order they can't fill. Idiots.