Eye issue or normal?

kisungkoh

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
Hey all,
I got my star tortoise about a couple wks ago and the pyramiding was pretty bad for the size. The seller said hes about 1-1.5 years or so , i dont rememver exactly.

He/she wasnt really eating anything at all for days . Temp and humidity lv were all fine, i was suspecting RI infection so i raised both temp and humidity. Basking spot 105, rest 80-85f , humidity were 40-60 range. At night still kept the temp fairy high at 80-90f. He ate very few amount then kept trying to sleep.

Long story short, now he/she seems much better . However the eye issue is still here. I looked up some info here ; it looks like ‘thirs eye lid’ or hardened pus. Im not sure which one mine is having and how i get rid of it. Or is this just normal ? I had few experiences with tortoise, hermann, redfoot, and elongated before. Never seen one like this .
Hope anyone can help!
Thank you—
oBR2ikH.jpg

gStN0or.jpg

Kasia

Poland
Hello

On the second pic they look a bit puffy (but just a bit) - try rinsing them with saline for a couple of days (maybe some bits are stuck in them - sand/substrate), you can also put her on paper towels for a while (3-4 days) and see if it will visualy improve the puffines. If so your substrate is the couse of her issues and needs replacing. Sometimes they will just scrach the hell out of them when something will get stuck on their face and it just needs time.

Good luck!

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
Hello

On the second pic they look a bit puffy (but just a bit) - try rinsing them with saline for a couple of days (maybe some bits are stuck in them - sand/substrate), you can also put her on paper towels for a while (3-4 days) and see if it will visualy improve the puffines. If so your substrate is the couse of her issues and needs replacing. Sometimes they will just scrach the hell out of them when something will get stuck on their face and it just needs time.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply. I shouldve mentioned the second photo is from few days after i got him. I will try to post a photo of closed eyes today. I feel that he’s better now after trying soaking everyday and raising temp and humidity but it is just my thought. At least he is slightly bit more active now .
I dont think it’s substrate issue though as the eyes have been like that , my wife actually noticed it first once i opened the box he was in.
When i complained about it to the seller , he claimed third eye lid iscompletely normal. Im asking though , is it?

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
Don't look to bad to me, but on the first pic the third eyelid is very visible
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the eyelid is on it full time since day 1 here. Im wondering whether it is something that i should worry about , will it every be gone? If not, how can i get rid of it from eyes? Ive read about similar issue other members had and cured it with Terramycin.
I would like to know if it’s something to be monitored from now or urgent issue..?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
How often do you bathe your tortoise? What consistency is your torts urates, it should be liquid or toothpaste texture not gritty or hard. The third eyelid commonly becomes more prominent when they are dehydrated which then links to why your tortoise wouldn't eat for a while. Hope this helps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These are the two ointments in my first aid kit:

eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
How often do you bathe your tortoise? What consistency is your torts urates, it should be liquid or toothpaste texture not gritty or hard. The third eyelid commonly becomes more prominent when they are dehydrated which then links to why your tortoise wouldn't eat for a while. Hope this helps
Thank you Ben, hes been ok now since i tried my best to make his health better. He was pretty terrible shape when i got it first time.
I tried to bathe him twice a day. Morning and few hours before ‘sleep’ time. Im not sure how often he urinates but i noticed the uric acid on his first bath here soon as i took him out from the box he was in. Then i found it one more time after but It seems like he pees in liquid form now .

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
I managed to take some photos today,
Please take look at the plastron . You see the anal side plastron is bit off . I mean the shape is not symmetry. Is this something related to bone disease?
Sorry i ask too many questions , i tried to find answer myself but no luck. I just want to make sure i raise this precious one at my best.

220052A8-4F9F-46BA-AAAF-C0021B19B87A.jpeg C663C5E4-7300-4122-9177-0C539A0FDE55.jpeg EB623ED2-A656-42B7-B1BC-50073F84D100.jpeg 05DFA09A-4D4E-48DE-8623-3AEE54C66737.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it has anything to do with MBD. It just looks like a shell deformity he was born/hatched with. . . some sort of abnormal aberrant scute thing.

kisungkoh

Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it has anything to do with MBD. It just looks like a shell deformity he was born/hatched with. . . some sort of abnormal aberrant scute thing.
Hmmm i hope this doesnt do anything to his health as he grows. Thank you again Yvnonne!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thank you Ben, hes been ok now since i tried my best to make his health better. He was pretty terrible shape when i got it first time.
I tried to bathe him twice a day. Morning and few hours before ‘sleep’ time. Im not sure how often he urinates but i noticed the uric acid on his first bath here soon as i took him out from the box he was in. Then i found it one more time after but It seems like he pees in liquid form now .[/

Looks like your doing a great job in terms of giving him a better life. I'm not concerned about the plastron though.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Good to know he has someone that really cares now! The forum is great with all kinds of good folks to help! Good luck