Eye issue

oacason

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, ky
I'm not sure what happened to my tortoise's eye...looks like this today. Looked normal yesterday. I did change his arcadia uvb tube out yesterday for a new one. I'm worried he poked it with substrate. I'll be making a vet appointment,but I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before.i was hoping it was just his third eyelid swollen,but almost looks like the eye is gone. :(20201022_122447.jpg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I'm not sure what happened to my tortoise's eye...looks like this today. Looked normal yesterday. I did change his arcadia uvb tube out yesterday for a new one. I'm worried he poked it with substrate. I'll be making a vet appointment,but I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before.i was hoping it was just his third eyelid swollen,but almost looks like the eye is gone. :(View attachment 309590

no... I think it’s just the third eye lid.
Maybe allergies ?
I can see a dark color at the top of the eye which if I am seeing it right it’s the pupil...
Let’s call the pros....
They will be with you shortly....
Good luck I hope everything goes well for you guys!!!! ❤️?
@Yvonne G
@Tom
@mark1
@Toddrickfl1
I don’t know of red foot owners.???
@maggie3fan

oacason

Louisville, ky
He does have some gnats in his cage because I changed out the substrate. I think the gnats were in the new bag of topsoil. I wonder if a gnat bit him?? Ugh. I flushed it out with warm water and put him in a plain bin with paper towels

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He does have some gnats in his cage because I changed out the substrate. I think the gnats were in the new bag of topsoil. I wonder if a gnat bit him?? Ugh. I flushed it out with warm water and put him in a plain bin with paper towels
No
Gnats are harmless. Just annoying.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think he needs ointment for that. I use Terramycin eye ointment, and it's not easy to find, but that eye issue is exactly what the ointment is made for. Use any kind of eye ointment really, I'd flush the eye first, then put eye ointment in. Personally I'd do it several times a day.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you can't get terramycin or gentamycin eye drops, I would use an over-the-counter soothing eye drop/gel. There's one called Refresh that comes in a green bottle that is good. You just want something that sooths...nothing that gets rid of redness. It will make it feel better and keep the irritated area lubricated.

oacason

Louisville, ky
I think he needs ointment for that. I use Terramycin eye ointment, and it's not easy to find, but that eye issue is exactly what the ointment is made for. Use any kind of eye ointment really, I'd flush the eye first, then put eye ointment in. Personally I'd do it several times a day.
I got some vetericyn eye wash, and vetericyn eye gel that says it's for "stinging, itching and burning from pollutants and contaminants" from petco last night. It's hard to apply because he just tucks his head far in his shell now. He's never done that before.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It's the scotts kind from home depot.
Please remove that topsoil it has sphagnum moss and probably sand which would both irritate the eyes. Get some cypress mulch for the base (3”) and you can cover with a thin layer of Reptibark (fine fir bark) for best performance. Also can you include photos of you enclosure

oacason

Louisville, ky
Please remove that topsoil it has sphagnum moss and probably sand which would both irritate the eyes. Get some cypress mulch for the base (3”) and you can cover with a thin layer of Reptibark (fine fir bark) for best performance. Also can you include photos of you enclosure
Ok will do. There is a layer of cypress mulch on top of the topsoil,so it's not just the topsoil.he does burrow though of course. I haven't had an issue before,been using that soil/mulch for my reptiles for years. But I will get rid of it for him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If you can't get terramycin or gentamycin eye drops, I would use an over-the-counter soothing eye drop/gel. There's one called Refresh that comes in a green bottle that is good. You just want something that sooths...nothing that gets rid of redness. It will make it feel better and keep the irritated area lubricated.
Thanks, that's what I was trying to say...lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got some vetericyn eye wash, and vetericyn eye gel that says it's for "stinging, itching and burning from pollutants and contaminants" from petco last night. It's hard to apply because he just tucks his head far in his shell now. He's never done that before.
Come at him from the back,over his shell.

oacason

Louisville, ky
You don't think it could be the Cypress mulch to blame for this? I'm wondering if I should switch the whole thing out for reptichip. I use that for my corn snakes and it's much softer than mulch.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You don't think it could be the Cypress mulch to blame for this? I'm wondering if I should switch the whole thing out for reptichip. I use that for my corn snakes and it's much softer than mulch.
The ingredients in the topsoil can be acidic and also contain sand which are all eye irritants. I have my Russian on all cypress and my leopard on cypress with Reptibark covering. By all means if you would like to use Reptibark for the whole thing.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a hatchling box turtle on cypress mulch and I don't know about him, but I like it

oacason

Louisville, ky
I removed the topsoil from both of my hermann's enclosures and did mulch with reptichip on top. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 20201026_121445.jpg
    20201026_121445.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 17