Feeding a Sulcata

BlueEyedAngel

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX
I've done tons of research, bought books, read articles, talked with people, and feel ready to own a Sulcata Tortoise, except one thing.

How much do I feed my tort in each of his life phases?

How much food do I feed (via fresh greenery & via natural grass tortoise pellets, as I plan to use both) as a hatchling? A juvenile? And so forth?

Once a day til he stops? A certain amount a certain number of times a day?

When older I know he'll graze, as he will be outside in his own yard. So I'm mostly concerned with the early stages, where he is fully reliant on me for every bite.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share regarding this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Before all the diet info, please realize that most of what you read "out there" in the world is old, outdated and based on decades old incorrect assumptions. They hatch during the rainy season when it is hot, humid and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food every where. The typical open-topped enclosure with a hot bulb and dry substrate frequently leads to their death months down the road. Breeders who start them too dry and only soak once a week end up with lots of unhappy customers months down the road.

Okay having said all of that, read these for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Okay, now on to your questions about feeding. I have one sentence for all of those diet questions: House the tortoise correctly and feed the it as much of the right foods as it wants every day.

Here are feeding suggestions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Thank you :)
Plan on daily soakings for 30-60 minutes.

What are your thoughts on the moist cellulose sponge in the top interior of the tort's "hut" for moisture combined with the proper bedding to aid in moisture/humidity?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you :)
Plan on daily soakings for 30-60 minutes.

What are your thoughts on the moist cellulose sponge in the top interior of the tort's "hut" for moisture combined with the proper bedding to aid in moisture/humidity?

With a closed chamber, you don't need sponges. With a top that is open to the colder drier room air, it won't be enough. On the other hand, I don't think they will hurt anything in either case.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
It's great you're doing your research and asking the right questions before you buy your tortoise.
Good luck with it all and don't forget to show us the photos of your new baby when you get him or her.
We love photos here.

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Hello, and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
It's great you're doing your research and asking the right questions before you buy your tortoise.
Good luck with it all and don't forget to show us the photos of your new baby when you get him or her.
We love photos here.

Thank you. I always try to be a responsible pet owner, especially when getting a critter I am inexperienced with.
Pics are a promise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you recommend soaking them outside so they can enjoy the sun at the same time? Supervised of course when small.

I do this frequently and so does Dean. You have to be very careful about the water overheating or getting too cold. I move mine more in or out of the sun depending on the air temperature that day and the current water temperature. Just a little too warm and they can die. Too cold for too long and they can get sick. Just use caution and watch closely.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome to the Forum...we got fun and games...oops went off on a little tangent there!

Seriously, read Tom's threads first...you can't go wrong after that! Secondly, a couple of my own...simply because they're fun and the care sheet sums up a lot of what Tom says...in short form ;) The other is a constant work-in-progress about my ivory sulcatas that are being documented from hatchlings until ? Enjoy!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ivory-sulcata-thread-aladars-babies-ultra-photo-heavy.92212/

As soaking goes...outside is best...if it's sunny! And given you're a Texan, that won't be an issue! I soak my babies for up to two hours a day...an hour late in the morning and another hour right after peak UV hours! They don't need to be monitored as much when they're yearlings or juvies...BUT they do need to be monitored as hatchlings. I literally soak them in 15 minute intervals with the tub half in the sun and half in the shade!! HATCHLINGS WILL DIE IF LEFT IN THE SUN FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME! My cut-off time is 10 minutes! I also spray their carapace while they soak!

As diet goes...do EVERYTHING you can to avoid store bought foods...except for the biscuits...and you have two really great options there...Mazuri and Marion Zoological (coastal, a member here sells it on his coastal silkworms site). But, when all is said and done, nothing can match homegrown grass and weeds.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Welcome to the Forum...we got fun and games...oops went off on a little tangent there!

Seriously, read Tom's threads first...you can't go wrong after that! Secondly, a couple of my own...simply because they're fun and the care sheet sums up a lot of what Tom says...in short form ;) The other is a constant work-in-progress about my ivory sulcatas that are being documented from hatchlings until ? Enjoy!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ivory-sulcata-thread-aladars-babies-ultra-photo-heavy.92212/

As soaking goes...outside is best...if it's sunny! And given you're a Texan, that won't be an issue! I soak my babies for up to two hours a day...an hour late in the morning and another hour right after peak UV hours! They don't need to be monitored as much when they're yearlings or juvies...BUT they do need to be monitored as hatchlings. I literally soak them in 15 minute intervals with the tub half in the sun and half in the shade!! HATCHLINGS WILL DIE IF LEFT IN THE SUN FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME! My cut-off time is 10 minutes! I also spray their carapace while they soak!

As diet goes...do EVERYTHING you can to avoid store bought foods...except for the biscuits...and you have two really great options there...Mazuri and Marion Zoological (coastal, a member here sells it on his coastal silkworms site). But, when all is said and done, nothing can match homegrown grass and weeds.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow! So much help & friendliness here! I love it!

Reading all the links shared!

As for food, I will be using home grown (organically) weeds & grasses with supplemental pet store bought hays & ZooMed grassland tortoise food. Growing kale, collards, & the such in our garden as well. Plan on planting boot trays with different species of grasses. And clovers cover our yard well, so those will be readily available as well. Also providing cuttle bones.

As suggested on a previous thread of mine, my husband and I will be attending the local reptile expo in May to learn more, buy needs, & to hopefully adopt our sulcata from a reputable breeder.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Wow! So much help & friendliness here! I love it!

Reading all the links shared!

As for food, I will be using home grown (organically) weeds & grasses with supplemental pet store bought hays & ZooMed grassland tortoise food. Growing kale, collards, & the such in our garden as well. Plan on planting boot trays with different species of grasses. And clovers cover our yard well, so those will be readily available as well. Also providing cuttle bones.

As suggested on a previous thread of mine, my husband and I will be attending the local reptile expo in May to learn more, buy needs, & to hopefully adopt our sulcata from a reputable breeder.
Stay away from the Katee and Zupreem packaged hays...they aren't nearly as desirable as what you can get from your local tack and feed...orchard and alfalfa are best! Bermuda is all right! Timothy would be a distant fourth!

NOTE: With hatchlings and young juvies...you'll have to chop (or grind) the hay...they aren't big fans!

BlueEyedAngel

Arlington TX
Will do. Ill probably go with alfalfa from our local feed store then.

Any words of wisdom of best choice for substrate? Is peat moss acceptable?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Will do. Ill probably go with alfalfa from our local feed store then.

Any words of wisdom of best choice for substrate? Is peat moss acceptable?
I use equal amounts of coco coir and coconut bark. Tom is keen on orchid bark...but I've NEVER used anything but the mixture...it retains moisture very well and does no harm if ingested!

For coco coir go here...
http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydro...=1428545000&sr=8-3&keywords=coconut coir bale

For coconut bark go here...
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...na-coco-soft-coarse-chip-reptile-bedding.html