Feeding DE

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I belong to a F/B group for parents of children who have compromised immune systems. One thing I have been reading a lot is people feeding their kids DE for parasites. Does anyone give DE to their torts for parasites or parasite prevention? If so how is it fed?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not, but you do have to be sure to get the food grade. There is a thread from earlier this fall. One of the members uses it faithfully for themselves and torts. If I can find it, I will post the link.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
yes, its common practice for people to sprinkle food grade DE on their tortoises food to help rid them of parasites. i would imagine it goes on the same as calcium supplementation. pumpkin, although not scientifically proven/tested, has been shown to do the same thing, and its very healthy for them to eat. however, if your tortoise does not for sure have parasites, it will remove good bacteria from their system instead.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Interesting. Thank you. My torts don't have parasites as far as I know. I guess I was thinking of a just in case kind of thing.