Feeding ???

Ian555

Hi all have settled the tort in

Just wodering whats hoodvto feed and whetevyou can purchase these items

I have read the care sheetscjust have not got a clue how you get hold of the stuff

Whats goodvyou can buy from thecsupermarket ?? Apart from jale and romane lettuce

Cheers

Ian

Ian555

Kale and romane lettuce she won't eat carrots and her previous owner giving her toms without seeds mushrooms and spuds with kale

Whats Easy to get yr hands on from supermarket

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
It varies some depending on species. What kind of tortoise/turtle do you have. Leopard?The best stuff comes from outside. Grass, weeds and leaves. There is a very good list in the Sulcata section. Leopards eat the same things, just less grass than sulcatas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You may not be aware of this. But please consider that tortoises are like children in that if they have gotten used to eating something that they LOVE, but should not be eating, they will go on a little hunger strike and refuse to eat their "greens."
Rest assured that it will not starve to death and it will eventually eat the correct food when it gets truly hungry.
I had a very ill tortoise that ate almost nothing for months and did not starve to death.
Don't worry if yours goes a week or so...

Southern California
I know this is from a few weeks ago, and not sure where you live...but Sprout's Farmers Market (we have them in California) carries Dandelion, Mustard, and Collard greens. Pet stores, like Petsmart, also carry live grass that you can grow in a pot indoors and just snip into the tortoise's food plate/bowl. Just make sure the grass is okay for your tortoise to eat.

I think the best option if you can't find the stuff is to buy seeds and grow it yourself. I planted some mustard, dandelion, grass, and clover for my little guy and it is growing without much issue (other than our 110 degree heat wave that fried the leaves of some of my plants). I also have a hibiscus growing. Seeds are cheap and you will save a lot of money in the long run if you are able to just grow it yourself. I grow all of this in planters on my patio.

By no means am I a tortoise expert, but this is what has worked for me so far! Hope this is helpful!

poppygirl

Los Angeles, California
I know this is from a few weeks ago, and not sure where you live...but Sprout's Farmers Market (we have them in California) carries Dandelion, Mustard, and Collard greens. Pet stores, like Petsmart, also carry live grass that you can grow in a pot indoors and just snip into the tortoise's food plate/bowl. Just make sure the grass is okay for your tortoise to eat.

I think the best option if you can't find the stuff is to buy seeds and grow it yourself. I planted some mustard, dandelion, grass, and clover for my little guy and it is growing without much issue (other than our 110 degree heat wave that fried the leaves of some of my plants). I also have a hibiscus growing. Seeds are cheap and you will save a lot of money in the long run if you are able to just grow it yourself. I grow all of this in planters on my patio.

By no means am I a tortoise expert, but this is what has worked for me so far! Hope this is helpful!

HI, I'm wondering where do you buy your seeds to grow yourself? I can't seem to find any in garden stores; maybe I'm too late in the season? I'm in the Los Angeles area and sounds like you may be somewhat close.
Thank you!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
HI, I'm wondering where do you buy your seeds to grow yourself? I can't seem to find any in garden stores; maybe I'm too late in the season? I'm in the Los Angeles area and sounds like you may be somewhat close.
Thank you!
Try TortoiseSupply.com. They are a very good and reputable company.