Feral iguanas are back---what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Well, the freeze that hit south Florida last winter did a real number on the feral iguana population down here. We didn't see them for months and figured maybe they were finally gone.
But, it wasn't to last. All summer we have been seeing more and more of the little green varmints that eventually turn into the big green and brown varmints...

feraliguanahatchling.jpg

Just last week I spotted a half grown iguana raiding the tortoise food in my yard as if I had put it out there just for him. Now I'm a nice guy and all but as some of you know, I have my limits. How would we deal with these critters?
Finally, the idea came to me...

DSC00171.jpg

Heck yes! We would go green!...

DSC00187.jpg

Mmm...getting rid of pesky iguanas can be yummy!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think you should fatten them up before you blend them but that is just my opinion.

they are cute looking though.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
They are very cute :D Is there a reason why you do not want them to be in your yard, are they mean? The llittle one looks like he is freaking out in the second pic :(.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Priceless! You should make a quick little before and after video and post it on Youtube.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Good thing PETA doesn't moniter this site!!! What a quick thinker you are!!! I wouldn't never come up with something like that!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Sorry I do not want to look slow or something but cdmay, it is a joke right? you did not do it for real?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It is a joke, that is guacamole that is being eaten it is to chunky for iguana spread.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I kind of knew it was not Iguana but I just wanted to be sure that the little iguana did not go in the blender lol. Now I feel better sorry everyone :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Isa said:
Sorry I do not want to look slow or something but cdmay, it is a joke right? you did not do it for real?

I'm screaming with laughter. You didn't really think I put an iguana in the blender, made guacamole with it and then fed it to my wife, did you? Let me assure you that I would never, ever do such a thing! What kind of monster do you take me for?
The fact is that I made guacamole out of that iguana and fed it to my hairy little dog Chloe, not my wife...

DSC00188.jpg

As for the other questions about the iguanas being 'mean' and so forth. Actually, they are neat animals although the wild caught ones (even the little guys) are nasty and will bite and scratch you like crazy. But the real problem for me is that they are voracious plant eaters and an adult iguana can consume a prize orchid in a few minutes. They will also strip your hibiscus to sticks and they pay you back by POOPING all over your car, your porch, your driveway and your head, if you happen to be standing under a tree they are in when the moment seizes them.
Believe me, the idea of having iguanas living all over your neighborhood is way cooler than actually having them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I call rights to the product name iGuacamole!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
lol I did know it was not iguanas on the nachos but I did not know if the blender thing was true :shy: sorry my bad.
I only have squirrels and groundhogs in my yard so I did not know if it was that bad to have Iguanas in your yard and I was not sure if you hated iguanas that much :) sorry about that, I feel really weird now lol. That is a super cute dog you have by the way!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would have to imagine there would be easier and less messy ways to handle a nuisance animal.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Carl, maybe you have seen my 4 ft. Iguana. He escaped his outdoor - indoor cage and was last seen at the water park in Deerfield. Sigh.......

allegraf

10 Year Member!
You and Barb are having too much fun! Please don't bring Chloe into your madness. She is to cute for that.

Allegra

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
. "Iguana Stew"?

Here's a recipe for Mexican. "Iguana Stew" (although its hardly stew).

From the menu at Hotel Mopan in Belize.

Ingredients:

1-Iguana

2-onions

1-tablespoon of salt

6-8-carrots

1-tablespoon of celantro

1 small ball of recardo

1-cup vinegar

1-lime

1-sweet pepper

1-tablespoon of black pepper

1/2-cabbage

2-cloves of garlic

1-can of diced tomato

coconut oil

Skin and clean iguana, then wash it in a mixture of vinegar and lime. After that, mix all seasonings and spices together in a bowl and rub them into the meat. Leave the rubbed meat for half an hour. Pour coconut oil in a pot, just to cover the bottom and place it on the fire.

When the oil is hot, put in the iguana meat, then cook it for another half an hour, turning a few times and adding a bit of water if needed. During that time slice the carrots, tomatoes and cabbage. Add them to the meat and cook for another half an hour. Serve with rice and beans.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I was sitting here waiting for you,Tom.I knew a recipe would be forthcoming.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
[quote='Isa' pid='173508' dateline='1287094780']
lol I did know it was not iguanas on the nachos but I did not know if the blender thing was true :shy: sorry my bad.
I only have squirrels and groundhogs in my yard so I did not know if it was that bad to have Iguanas in your yard and I was not sure if you hated iguanas that much :) sorry about that, I feel really weird now lol. That is a super cute dog you have by the way!
[/quote]

Don't feel weird or bad. I'm sure that there were (still are) many others who wondered exactly what you did. But at least you stepped up and asked.
Oh yeah, Chloe is cute all right. She likes going to work with me and hitting the beach...

DSC04748.jpg

After swimming she likes rolling in the sand, no doubt to make giving her a bath more difficult...

DSC04751.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!! but...e-w-w-w-w and Blech-ch-ch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.