Finally got my homes hingeback.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
wow i didn't know any species of tortoise can swim like that! do you have any videos of that?
No wild videos I'm afraid. I've got a few people who I've talked to though in-situ. I did promise someone I'd try the held-down mushrooms last summer again, but I forgot. I'll try to get them again when it warms up this summer.
They've been known to catch live goldfish in captivity now and again. In parts of their range, they can spend upto 80% in swamps, so are v.used to water.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Hi Ben

How are you, I have a feeling me and you will meet face to face in the future;).

The previous owner had them since 2007 so that's about 8yrs and they were only juveniles then, she said they didn't look to have the hinge part when she got them and she assumed they were wc because the shop keeper wouldn't let her have them until they had there quarantine period.

Hope you are well.

Craig
Ah, I see what you mean now. They must've been very young when imported then, she's done a great job with their growth. The beak should go away naturally with cuttlefish and a good diet, at least hopefully. For other foods, figs and sharon fruit are generally instant hits. Have you tried many greens yet?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ah, I see what you mean now. They must've been very young when imported then, she's done a great job with their growth. The beak should go away naturally with cuttlefish and a good diet, at least hopefully. For other foods, figs and sharon fruit are generally instant hits. Have you tried many greens yet?
This morning I've given them mixed greens, papaya,kiwi and mushrooms. They have not eaten yet, the previous owner did say she fed them late on at tea time, They've been mating again though, so surely they will need a food break soon. lol
I'll get some worms later to get them going.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sorry I called you tortdad. :oops:
It's quite alright. I am definitely a tort dad for sure.
That's the 1st time I've been confused for Kelly. He's a good dude so I'm honored that you'd think I was that tortoise smart. He's like a tortoise super genius but I taller and more handsome,lol!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am trying to get some descent photos of these hinges, but the 2 males seem to be very shy for now. Just fed them some worms.
These are only on the floor for the photos, and won't be let out of there enclosure, except to go outside. Just discovered my 11" redfoot is scared of worms. lol

IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1824.JPG IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1828.JPG IMG_1829.JPG IMG_1830.JPG IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1833.JPG IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1836.JPG

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
You made me LOL about your redfoot being scared of worms!! My biggest redfoot is a scardy cat too!! Your new torts are really beautiful! I bet they are loving their new home!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You made me LOL about your redfoot being scared of worms!! My biggest redfoot is a scardy cat too!! Your new torts are really beautiful! I bet they are loving their new home!
Good, like to make people laugh.
Hi again.

Have you got any photos of CB hingebacks please, just so I can see an example of there carapace.

Cheers

Craig

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Hingebacks in general, or just homeana? Most younger nogueyi are CB,@Will has bred homeana before, so should have some pics @tortadise I think has as well, in addition to his success with erosa.
CB erosa from Bristol Zoo(scroll down the page) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-is-the-physiology-behind-pyramiding.83263/page-9
http://www.lerefugedestortues.fr/publications/Publi-CHENONIENS-KinixysErosa-2006.pdf another CB erosa, les refuge des tortues has another article with more pics of the offspring, but it's not saved on my favorites so would require looking up on their website, sorry.
http://theturtleroom.com/breeding-projects/kinixys-homeana-ben/

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Re-reading your question and thinking about growth, I presume you mean the kind of pyramiding that you get in the older CB specimens. I don't have any pics of that to hand, but a quick google should get you some results.