Finally got my homes hingeback.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all

I finally got my 4 new homes hingeback torts today.
2 male and 2 female approx 10yrs old. Both females were laying eggs regular but none of the eggs have ever been incubated. I'm getting an reptibator (thanks Yvonne) next wk.
Some photos below, will post mbetter ones when they have settled in. They love worms,papaya and cuttlefish.
1 of the males has an overgrown beak. Any advice on that would be appreciated. IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1784.JPG IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1787.JPG IMG_1788.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, congrats, you sure jumped in with both feet, four at one time, good for you. Best up luck with them and any future babies.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Fantastic. Off to a great start with them chowing down. Lots of protein. 80% protein and 20% other like mushrooms or whatever they will eat.
Hi tortdad
Is it really 80% protein. I now these eat a lot of protein but is it that high.

Thanks

Craig

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Some more pics

As you can see by the 3rd photo, they have officially settled in. :rolleyes: The lady I got them off did worn me.:D

IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1791.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The habitat in which they are found is very limited in fibrous broadleaf vegetation that's suitable for limited say light animals. So they balance it with lots of protein. I just ha a visit from Tomas with the African chelonian institute. He works with these in-situ and has done quite a bit of field data and observations. Vegetation consumed is around 20% and comprises of mosses, mushrooms, and som leaf debris(which was speculatory of being consumed either on carrion or worms) they primarily scavenge for worms, insects, carrion, fish, amphibians, and snails.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow already, they must be very comfortable. Good job on their home. I can't answer your 80% protein question, but tortadise might be able too.
Actually it was Tortadise that said 80% protein, and he would know.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The habitat in which they are found is very limited in fibrous broadleaf vegetation that's suitable for limited say light animals. So they balance it with lots of protein. I just ha a visit from Tomas with the African chelonian institute. He works with these in-situ and has done quite a bit of field data and observations. Vegetation consumed is around 20% and comprises of mosses, mushrooms, and som leaf debris(which was speculatory of being consumed either on carrion or worms) they primarily scavenge for worms, insects, carrion, fish, amphibians, and snails.
Thanks for that. Previous owner fed them with plenty of worms,snail and slugs. Then weeds,mushrooms and fruit like papaya,kiwi. Does Tomas mention anything about fruit. Also what type of fish could I feed them. I know they can dive for fish. These are really interesting torts.

Thanks again

Craig

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sorry I called you tortdad. :oops:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks for that. Previous owner fed them with plenty of worms,snail and slugs. Then weeds,mushrooms and fruit like papaya,kiwi. Does Tomas mention anything about fruit. Also what type of fish could I feed them. I know they can dive for fish. These are really interesting torts.

Thanks again

Craig
Fruit is generally utilized for getting them to adapt. I'd be sparingly about the fruits. Not too sure on which species of fish. But I'd presume it would be dead fish they would scavenge on in the wild.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Congrats, looking good.
Are these CB then as you said they're about 10 years old? They don't look CB to me, too nice growth, but the last owner might've been very good I guess.
@tortadise , could you share that protein conversation with me please? The people who I've spoken to in the areas seem to believe it's about 35-40%, inc. mushrooms. Also, I think @Anyfoot may've been referring to the conversation we had about diving for slow fish and river-floor molluscs etc. They have in the wild been observed diving under water for slower fish in parts of Ghana and Cameroon at least. I tried it two summers ago outside, and got two of mine diving and retrieving for mushrooms that were held down with rocks.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Congrats, looking good.
Are these CB then as you said they're about 10 years old? They don't look CB to me, too nice growth, but the last owner might've been very good I guess.
@tortadise , could you share that protein conversation with me please? The people who I've spoken to in the areas seem to believe it's about 35-40%, inc. mushrooms. Also, I think @Anyfoot may've been referring to the conversation we had about diving for slow fish and river-floor molluscs etc. They have in the wild been observed diving under water for slower fish in parts of Ghana and Cameroon at least. I tried it two summers ago outside, and got two of mine diving and retrieving for mushrooms that were held down with rocks.
wow i didn't know any species of tortoise can swim like that! do you have any videos of that?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Congrats, looking good.
Hi Ben

How are you, I have a feeling me and you will meet face to face in the future;).

The previous owner had them since 2007 so that's about 8yrs and they were only juveniles then, she said they didn't look to have the hinge part when she got them and she assumed they were wc because the shop keeper wouldn't let her have them until they had there quarantine period.

Hope you are well.

Craig

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well I've been up since 5.30am on a Sunday, supposedly the day of rest:). Torts are taking over my life, I can't switch off. but love it. :D

Some morning photo's all slept in separate areas, so maybe this species needs plenty of space for me time.

The photos don't do there camouflage any justice at all. Its unreal how they find an area that is a similar colour to there carapace. Or maybe that's a fluke, highly unlikely with 4 though. I'm thinking of setting up a camera to watch these when we are not in the room.
Just thought, how does a hingeback tort know what its shell best camouflages with as they all have different colours. mmm

soon as I sprayed they became active and headed for the spraying water.

IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1806.JPG

Last edited: