Finally named my Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy

5 Year Member
The baby Sulcata that I got last Monday from UPS which was without food/water/humidity for 4 days has now a name, I named her Miracle---my daughters really liked the name so we kind of stuck with it. She is doing awesome, my wife says we didn't get a tortoise but a pig cause she eats like one, she gets her morning/early afternoon lunch outside while walking in the front yard---she eats alot! Today I saw her drink really for the first time in her tank, she went over to her bowl stuck her head in the water with her butt in the air and drank, sad to say but it was kind of cute. She seems to be very satisfied so far with us, she does walk onto my hands when I am outside and move her when she is to close to the road or in an area where she don't need to be, I'm trying not to pick her up but let her feel secure enough to crawl onto my hands while I stabilize her to her tank or to other locations.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Just a fore warning her appetite is only gonna increase :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That'll work. Glad you guys are enjoying her so much.

randy

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I can't tell you how much of a relief it's been for the since last Monday thinking that I was going to receive a dead baby after being cooped up at UPS for 4-5 days and now she is doing fabulous. I would say that I enjoy her very much, which I do!, but my daughters are now jealous that I have her and every time I pick her up they think that they can pick her up and play with her, I try telling them that she is not a dog, cat or an animal which likes to be held all the time. I do believe they will get to know you and accept you being around them, but honestly I'm not sure on how well they will enjoy, really enjoy us? But I do get a little Fatherly since her shell is still soft and the kids just don't watch it when they are stepping around all the time and it really gets me scared and very un-nerved.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A very fitting name. Sounds like she has settled in well. It's okay to be a bit protective, that will fade as time goes along. For now she is so little how can you not be protective?

randy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
A very fitting name. Sounds like she has settled in well. It's okay to be a bit protective, that will fade as time goes along. For now she is so little how can you not be protective?
Ya, my first thought or nightmare would be to see someone step on her and with a soft shell, well she'd be pretty much a gonner. However now that the kids are going back to school Monday and no longer on Spring Break it makes it a little easier to take her out without children around.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
randy said:
]Ya, my first thought or nightmare would be to see someone step on her and with a soft shell, well she'd be pretty much a gonner. However now that the kids are going back to school Monday and no longer on Spring Break it makes it a little easier to take her out without children around.

;) That it will! Enjoy more tortoise time starting tomorrow. :D

randy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
randy said:
]Ya, my first thought or nightmare would be to see someone step on her and with a soft shell, well she'd be pretty much a gonner. However now that the kids are going back to school Monday and no longer on Spring Break it makes it a little easier to take her out without children around.

;) That it will! Enjoy more tortoise time starting tomorrow. :D

Tomorrow is here, and Thank God it is raining and has been all night. The little girl will have to wait to go out some other day. My wifes Mother says it never rains in Wichita Falls Tx., I guess we brought the rain with us from Pennsylvania.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
good name! seems like it was the first to enter your mind and you went with it :D I'm glad she is doing good and sounds like she's a very happy tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.