First mouse

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
Senior tortuga ate his first pinky mouse today. As soon as he saw it he took it right out of my fingers. He loved it so much he wouldn't let go! I was afraid his jaws wouldn't be strong enough to eat it. He pretty much inhaled it. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457240958.685176.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457240977.258964.jpg

Last edited:

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i have fed frozen thawed pinkys to my snakes, but i find it weird to feed them to a boxie. it kind of grosses me out. i know it's good protein, but for some reason it just bothers me. i think b/c of the way the boxies eat with a huge chomp.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
i have fed frozen thawed pinkys to my snakes, but i find it weird to feed them to a boxie. it kind of grosses me out. i know it's good protein, but for some reason it just bothers me. i think b/c of the way the boxies eat with a huge chomp.
It’s weird to me that you have no problem feeding pinky’s to your snakes. But have a problem with feeding them to a turtle 🐢.
Gerry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Old thread.

I think it has to do with a snake swallowing the mouse whole while the box turtle has to rip it apart to eat it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sometimes giving your tortoise a "natural" diet can be pretty gruesome.
You can certainly find less cringeworthy protein alternatives if you want to.
I myself also feel a bit uncomfortable feeding mammals to my tortoises. Though they'd love it.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Sometimes giving your tortoise a "natural" diet can be pretty gruesome.
You can certainly find less cringeworthy protein alternatives if you want to.
I myself also feel a bit uncomfortable feeding mammals to my tortoises. Though they'd love it.
I would feed my boxes night crawlers that I would find in the yard and crickets. I would feed my garter snake gold fish. My Grandson has a bigger snake and feeds it rats, I do not watch.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
I would feed my boxes night crawlers that I would find in the yard and crickets. I would feed my garter snake gold fish. My Grandson has a bigger snake and feeds it rats, I do not watch.
If you people have such a weak stomach, that feeding natural prey is something that makes you so wheezy. I would like to know how you deal with everyday life.
I see it as good natural food that my Max could find in nature, and by the way, it’s very unlikely they would be euthanized before being eaten.
I hope my comments here doesn’t offend you or make you vomit.
I guess I’m just lucky, when it comes to having a strong stomach and every little thing doesn’t sicken me.
Gerry

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
If you people have such a weak stomach, that feeding natural prey is something that makes you so wheezy. I would like to know how you deal with everyday life.

LOL...I would suggest that it's much easier to wonder how the others deal with everyday life if you try to put yourself in the other persons shoes....try to see it from their viewpoint.

Just something Kerry has taught me by osmosis over the years......I used to simply decide what others thought, then I would pronounce them "right or wrong".......it was a pretty narrow field of view. Kerry is very laid back and can often see other views when I couldn't.

LOL

In other words, yeah, you have a strong constitution Gerry....but it's cool, you can handle it, others really can't. That's doesn't make them bad or wrong....they do know their limitations though which is very insightful!

I'd have no problem tossing some pinkies in for Matilda but she's got a worm farm to consume first!

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
LOL...I would suggest that it's much easier to wonder how the others deal with everyday life if you try to put yourself in the other persons shoes....try to see it from their viewpoint.

Just something Kerry has taught me by osmosis over the years......I used to simply decide what others thought, then I would pronounce them "right or wrong".......it was a pretty narrow field of view. Kerry is very laid back and can often see other views when I couldn't.

LOL

In other words, yeah, you have a strong constitution Gerry....but it's cool, you can handle it, others really can't. That's doesn't make them bad or wrong....they do know their limitations though which is very insightful!

I'd have no problem tossing some pinkies in for Matilda but she's got a worm farm to consume first!
Hi Jeff, I want to apologize to you, because every time my mouth gets my A— in a crack, it’s always your that comes to rescue me with your wisdom.
I only wish I could see things like you do.
I’ve always been one to say what I think.
I’ve said this before, I’m just old and set in my ways. It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
This forum is a great place to learn. There are some members here with an abundance of knowledge and know how to express it, with realistic thinking. Those are the members I truly have respect for, such as yourself.
I’ll try to do better and show those people that think different than I do, more respect.
Thanks Gerry

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Hi Jeff, I want to apologize to you, because every time my mouth gets my A— in a crack, it’s always your that comes to rescue me with your wisdom.
I only wish I could see things like you do.
I’ve always been one to say what I think.
I’ve said this before, I’m just old and set in my ways. It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
This forum is a great place to learn. There are some members here with an abundance of knowledge and know how to express it, with realistic thinking. Those are the members I truly have respect for, such as yourself.
I’ll try to do better and show those people that think different than I do, more respect.
Thanks Gerry
By the way Jeff. What did Kerry have to say about my viewpoint?
Gerry

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I'm a hack like you buddy, but without your enclosure-construction skillset and dedication to detail. There are a lot of folks here, most seem to be older or at least worlds more mature than on most forums and many are "set in their ways" but are always ready to help someone. Not everyone comes across as they intend to though.....there are even super talented folks here who re-examined their deliveries and modified them so they weren't misconstrued as "harsh". We're all human here, no one is perfect thank God or I wouldn't be able to blend in so well<LOL>!

Kerry says; As long as she doesn't have to watch. She would not be one of those to feed living prey to anything.

You old......saying that makes me feel better, thanks.....I'm 64.....and yes, Kerry rung in my BD with the Beatles song we had all forgotten about 40 years ago! Cool time!

Stay cool brother, it's gonna get hot today!