First outdoor adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelalu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MD/VA
Just wanted to share a couple pics of my lovely tortoise!
Today was her first experience in a yard. She's about 5 1/2 months old and the weather was gorgeous and sunny here. She hiked all over, and I rather think she enjoyed herself.

This picture shows her the day I first got her Oct 4th 2012, and her outside today March 10th 2013.

1and5months.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mmmm... Sunshine. So good for them.

Got an enclosure out there yet?

Lelalu

5 Year Member
MD/VA
No, no enclosure outside yet. I don't have a yard myself - it's just a patch of grass in the community with a picnic table (no pesticides). She'll get a furnished pond liner tub on my deck once it's more consistently in the acceptable temperature range.

A yard is first on my list of requirements when I move in just over a year! (Then I can get more tortoises as well)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wonder how many of us have plans to get more tortoises when we have more space. I'm looking for some acreage right now. I'll be adding a few more tortoises once that happens. :)

Lelalu

5 Year Member
MD/VA
Tom said:
I wonder how many of us have plans to get more tortoises when we have more space. I'm looking for some acreage right now. I'll be adding a few more tortoises once that happens. :)

I thought one would be enough when I got her. I was worried it would be an overwhelming amount of work to keep her healthy and growing well but you get into a habit and it's just so much fun! Instead of the "cat lady", I was previously the "chinchilla lady"... I fear now I will be the "chinchilla and tortoise lady"!

biochemnerd808 said:
What a beautiful little tortoise! Looks like good healthy growth, too. :)

Thanks! I have been very mindful of her environment to prevent the dreaded pyramiding.

She is growing much faster/bigger than I thought she would! 2 weeks ago (~4 months old) she was 103 grams and 3" long. But I figure as long as she can pull all legs and her head into her shell at once then she shouldn't be overweight. And I only feed her appropriate greens and veggies, and vary the amount from day to day.

kjr153

5 Year Member
When I get the hang of the whole Tortoise world, I 'd love to have an Aldabra. What are your opinions on those?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
kjr153, please don't hijack this thread... I'd suggest posting in the aldabra portion of the forum for such questions! :)

Aldabras are huge, beautiful, gentle, friendly... expensive and have I mentioned HUGE! You need huge outdoor roaming areas, basically a barn or shed with winter heat, the dedication and resources to feed and care for a 200+ lb animal for the rest of your life and to arrange for care beyond that.

kjr153 said:
When I get the hang of the whole Tortoise world, I 'd love to have an Aldabra. What are your opinions on those?

Status
Not open for further replies.