Hibernation problem

coz

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
I am in the UK and recently we have had some mild weather and my tortoise , who I have had for 51 years, seems to be awake. She is in a box of hay with ventilation in a cold dark room, but has moved and her head was out with her eyes sealed shut. I checked this morning and she has moved again, but her head was only half out. I picked her up and her eyes were still shut. Is this normal? Should I leave her, as it has become a lot colder now? She was hibernated in Oct (same every year) and normally wakes in Feb. I don't want to leave herif she has started to wake and could get dehydrated. What shall I do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in the UK and recently we have had some mild weather and my tortoise , who I have had for 51 years, seems to be awake. She is in a box of hay with ventilation in a cold dark room, but has moved and her head was out with her eyes sealed shut. I checked this morning and she has moved again, but her head was only half out. I picked her up and her eyes were still shut. Is this normal? Should I leave her, as it has become a lot colder now? She was hibernated in Oct (same every year) and normally wakes in Feb. I don't want to leave herif she has started to wake and could get dehydrated. What shall I do?
What is the temperature in the hibernation box, and what species are we talking about?

More here:

coz

Uk
What is the temperature in the hibernation box, and what species are we talking about?

More here:
She is in a box with hay in a dark room of about 6 degrees. However we ha e just had a mild spell and temp went up to 10-11 degrees for 2 weeks. It is now cold again. I have been hibernating her for 51 years - I believe she is Greek

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is in a box with hay in a dark room of about 6 degrees. However we ha e just had a mild spell and temp went up to 10-11 degrees for 2 weeks. It is now cold again. I have been hibernating her for 51 years - I believe she is Greek
6C is great. 11C is too warm. This sort of fluctuation in the weather is common here where I live, and this is the reason it is generally not safe to brumate a tortoise outdoors here or anywhere but inside a fridge that is temperature controlled.

If your tortoise didn't eat when it was up and is settled in a again, I would leave it. If you have another warm spell, use ice bottles or something to keep the tortoise suitably cold until it passes.