Puffy Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
U.K.
I've had a look on some other threads and gathered a bit of info, but thought it would be best if i started my own.

Took my tort to the vet the other week and he spotted that her eyes were a little swollen. He suggested it to be lack of vit A. I now have some Arkvits for her but she is not eating at all and sleeping all day.

I know the weather has a serious effect of the temp (uk) but the heating is on morning and afternoon and temps are fine.

When she is awake she is rubbing her eyes alot.

The lamp is a Repti Glo 10.0 compact. Is this the problem?

I have moved her to a warmer part of the house in hope she wakes up a little. She is not hibernating this year as the vet suggested.

Thanks

Aaron

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It would be helpful if we knew what type of tortoise it is.

Logan

5 Year Member
U.K.
Testudo graeca ibera.

Knew I forgot something

Testudo graeca ibera.

Knew I forgot something

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
that is a coil bulb right if so you should get a MVB like a powersun it could be bothering her eyes

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aaron:

Welcome to the forum!!

YES!!! Get rid of that light right this minute! Keep her warm, but just let her eyes rest for a good couple, three days. She'll start eating again when her eyes feel better. If you have the antibiotic eye ointment, it would be good to put a couple drops on her eyes two or three times a day for a week or so.

Logan

5 Year Member
U.K.
Thanks guys,

Should I leave this in until I get a new one or should i just unplug it and let her enjoy the little natural light there is at the moment.

Any one suggest a good (cheap ideally) light? Wattage?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I think you should shut it off right how soon can you get a MVB he should be alright for a little while with out it it was probably hurting his eyes anyway

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Logan said:
Thanks guys,

Should I leave this in until I get a new one or should i just unplug it and let her enjoy the little natural light there is at the moment.

Any one suggest a good (cheap ideally) light? Wattage?

Turn it off immediately!!! Very important!!!!

There isn't a "cheap" good light. You're going to have to spend from $50 to $70 for a good MVB (Mercury vapor bulb). This is a UV combined with heat, so you wouldn't have a need for two day time lights. You can buy an MVB cheaper online than you can in the pet stores. The most popular one right now is the Mega Ray and you probably can get by with a 100 watt.

Don't try to find a cheaper bulb. Look around online for a cheaper price, but don't go cheaper in the bulb. Its your tortoise's health we're talking about. This is a good bulb.

M

Maggie Cummings

Get rid of the compact and don't get another one. They are very bad for tortoises eyes and one blinded a Sulcata yearling I had. Get rid of the compact now and look for a cheaper MVB bulb. coastal here on TFO had some he was selling for around $40. You might do a search on him and see what he's selling them for now. But get rid of the compact and just use a regular bulb until you can get a MVB...

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Yes, coastal is pretty cheap. For a 100watt power sun it is $39.99 I believe. That is a pretty good price! You can also try ebay.

Logan

5 Year Member
U.K.
Yes I leave the heat lamp on 24/7 now. As the weather is real cold.

The price is not really a major issue, I would just like to know where you can find good prices.

Thanks for all your help. Im really surprised how serious this light is. After all I was sold/recommended it from a good reptile store.

Until I get one I do not have a substitute lamp. should I put a house hold lamb near by in the mean time?

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, you can use a regular household lamp temporarily.

You can find Mercury Vapour Bulbs (MVB) on ebay (UK).

Yes, check ebay (UK) .

There are a couple brand names. Look for "powersun" (Zoo Med) and "solar glo" (exo terra).

Most here prefer the powersun MVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.