First timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melloh31

5 Year Member
Hello,

I am a first time tortoise owner and I will be getting my Russian baby in four days from a local breeder. I have been worrying about every little thing because I don't want to be a bad parent. My most recents problems have consisted of lighting and UVB. I was anxious to get my tort table going and rushed a purchase on a professional series solar glo 160w exo-terra bulb. I then bought a light fixture from home depot with a metal or steel reflector. My concerns are whether or not the bulb I got is adequate for my baby tort, and whether or not the $10 fixture will hold up with such a high profile bulb? Thanks all for reading this.

Sincerely,

Vladimir (baby tort's name)

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Helloo and Welcome!
I Would Switch To A Ceramic Zoo Med Fixture, They Are 20-30 Bucks!
They Will Give You Maximum life Quality Along With Out Put!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I use a powersun MVB on my babies. It works great! Well worth the money.

Welcome to TFO!!! Congrats on the new tortie, please post pictures when you get him/her!

Melloh31

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
I use a powersun MVB on my babies. It works great! Well worth the money.

Welcome to TFO!!! Congrats on the new tortie, please post pictures when you get him/her!

I was hoping to stay with what I've already purchased if I could, but if someone tells me specifically not to use the solar glo as in an all in one I will probably switch to a powersun. Thank you all for the welcomes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melloh31:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

You can buy a light fixture with an aluminum dome, and a ceramic base rated to hold up to 150 watts at a home improvement store for around $13. I just bought one yesterday at Orchard Supply Hardware.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
My favorite is the powersun as well, but I have used the Sun Glo and it works well too. That watt though will be hot and I'm not sure how large your setup is so I would set it up and raise it higher if need be.

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Welcome Melloh31
The advice from this thread is worth its weight in gold.If you have any questions the members on this sight will get you squared away.I got a redfoot from Petco and it was in real bad shape when i brought her home.I got a lot of help from any one here and the info really got her on her feet fast.From my experience on being a new tortoise parent be careful of the petstore care advice.Do your research first,thats where i messed up.Some of the care they have especially on some of the care sheet pamphlets is not always right.Also be wary of what they are trying to sell you some of the products they have for sale are actually harmful to tortoises.Especially Repti bark Fir reptile substrate,Its not too good for moisture retention,molds and can cause intestinal impactions from the torts eating it and could potentially kill the animal.You wont go wrong with the help youll get here.there is a lot of years of hands on experience from TF members you can trust.i have before and after pics with a timestamp to prove it.Also there are links on this site that will provide expert care instructions for a lot of tortoise breeds.Have fun and congrats on the new addition!!

Melloh31

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Melloh31:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

You can buy a light fixture with an aluminum dome, and a ceramic base rated to hold up to 150 watts at a home improvement store for around $13. I just bought one yesterday at Orchard Supply Hardware.

My name is Nick and I live in Oklahoma city. The tort table I'm building will be 140inches in length and 17 inches in width.

Status
Not open for further replies.