Flipping question-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I read so much here about torts flipping, especially the babies. Does it seem like the babies flip the most and adults not so much? Or do they all flip but the older torts are stronger, more coordinated and have learned how to right themselves better?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mostly only hatchlings to maybe a few months. I haven't really heard of any older ones doing it. I think the older ones do it only if they fall off of something. This info is what I have learned being a member of TFO. Others might have more

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hatchlings flip much more often. This is because their little bodies are much lighter than adults and they're still developing their coordination skills.

Adults do flip on occasion, but its rare.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think this may have just helped me decide to get a yearling (or thereabouts) rather than a hatchling. I tend to worry and obsess about my pets at the best of times, and I can just see myself TRYING unsuccessfully to not worry about a hatchling all day when I'm at work. In another 2 years, after I've retired or at least reduced my work hours, I might try a hatchling since I'd be a lot more available to check on them. THANKS so much for all the input! :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Hatchlings are definitely more prone, but it can happen at any age, so always take precautions! My 9 year old Hermann flipped himself trying to claw up the wall like usual, but he was standing in his water dish and slipped...if the water dish had been deeper he could have drowned, but that's why you should take precautions like using shallow water dishes :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also do not put water dishes or food dishes, logs, rocks, etc near the sides of the enclosure, if they are ones to climb. Also hides, if they have straight sides and not rounded like the half log then they can't climb up it and roll or fall off and land on their backs. My leopard only went on his back twice. Had him since hatchling. He is now 19 months. Depending on the tortoise and also species, it's pretty easy to prevent. I think leopards are probably less likely then a sulcata or Russian, just from what I have observed on the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The flipping thing is pretty unpredictable. I have had whole enclosures of them that seem to want to flip, but the batch before or after them didn't flip at all in that same enclosure with nothing changed. Sometimes they won't be flippers and then when they go to a new home they start doing it, or vice versa. I had no flippers at all this year actually, now that I think about it...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
THanks again for all the info!

Wellington: Are you saying I SHOULD have hides with straight sides or I should NOT have hides with straight sides?

Pokeymeg: I LOVE your signature: "40,000 bees....all ages!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.