Flipping red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Traverse City, MI
I'm not sure what is going on with my redfoots. Simon and Garfunkel have been together since they were both just a few months old. Now they're each a year old and have decided to have issues. At first I thought the shoving matches were due to the enclosure becoming outgrown by them. So, a few weeks ago I changed their enclosure and now they have ample space. But now, instead of just shoving matches, they have taken to flipping each other on their backs. Any ideas what is going on? Is this a normal part of them maturing? I have no idea if they are the same sex or not, so I don't know if they plays a part or not. They do this whenever they are both awake and active, but still sleep right next to each other.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Bullying is what is happening....eventually one will tire and submit and become a sad victim of bullying...you may not yet be able to tell the sex of the two torts but I assure you that they already know :D....

Two torts/ a pair of torts are a hard place to achieve harmony....please take heed to their warnings in their behavior that one will get hurt...also, if one does not back down, they can and will bite and ram one another, the biting can inflict great injury--especially if they are forced to remain in the same enclosure and they grow....that is if one does not suffer greatly from the bullying....

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
ascott said:
Bullying is what is happening....eventually one will tire and submit and become a sad victim of bullying...you may not yet be able to tell the sex of the two torts but I assure you that they already know :D....

Two torts/ a pair of torts are a hard place to achieve harmony....please take heed to their warnings in their behavior that one will get hurt...also, if one does not back down, they can and will bite and ram one another, the biting can inflict great injury--especially if they are forced to remain in the same enclosure and they grow....that is if one does not suffer greatly from the bullying....

So far there hasn't been any biting. Just the shoving and flipping.
I was thought that redfoots could live together. Is it possible they are just establishing who is the boss and then they will be okay? I really do not have room to have them each in separate enclosures.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is it possible they are just establishing who is the boss and then they will be okay?

Possible yes...Likely no......there is stress that goes along with bullying so if you are going to keep them as is i would suggest lots of hiding spots and healthy retreats....but be prepared for two enclosures as possibility....

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ascott said:
Possible yes...Likely no......there is stress that goes along with bullying so if you are going to keep them as is i would suggest lots of hiding spots and healthy retreats....but be prepared for two enclosures as possibility....

Ditto.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I feel this goes beyond bullying, these are territory disputes, which in the wild often result in death for the over turned tortoise. You probably have a pair that just won't get along, rare in RF's for sure, You will probably have to look into permanent separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.