Fortaz Antibiotics for RI

Shannon99

Location (City and/or State)
Wigan
Hello,
So my little tort has been diagnosed with a RI earlier in the week and we are due for our second injection on Friday out of about 5-6 injections, I’m just wondering if anyone has had some experience with this because I know he’s not going to improve over night but he won’t eat just sleeps 24/7 has daily soaks no poo or anything like that just buries himself in his enclosure after his bath and won’t move until I get him out for his bath again I feel so helpless and still really worried. He’s only been here for a week so understandable that we are still in the settling in stage aswell. just wondering if there’s anything I can do to help him or anything I need to be looking out for? Thank you ☺️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello,
So my little tort has been diagnosed with a RI earlier in the week and we are due for our second injection on Friday out of about 5-6 injections, I’m just wondering if anyone has had some experience with this because I know he’s not going to improve over night but he won’t eat just sleeps 24/7 has daily soaks no poo or anything like that just buries himself in his enclosure after his bath and won’t move until I get him out for his bath again I feel so helpless and still really worried. He’s only been here for a week so understandable that we are still in the settling in stage aswell. just wondering if there’s anything I can do to help him or anything I need to be looking out for? Thank you ☺️
Bless him, sounds like he’s still not feeling his best self yet, either settling or recovering from the potential RI or a combination of both.

Your temps still checking out ok? What do you use to measure them may I ask? It’s helpful to have the monitors but to then double check them with a temp gun to make sure they’re definitely reading correctly🙂

Shannon99

Wigan
Bless him, sounds like he’s still not feeling his best self yet, either settling or recovering from the potential RI or a combination of both.

Your temps still checking out ok? What do you use to measure them may I ask? It’s helpful to have the monitors but to then double check them with a temp gun to make sure they’re definitely reading correctly🙂

Shannon99

Wigan
All temps are checking out great I have a monitor under the basking spot and separate thermometers dotted around and a temp gun (sever anxiety of him being to cold) all temps are still great! So I’m pretty confident we have the right temps all round. But he’s got no interest in anything can barely keep his eyes open poor thing half of me wants to get him out and keep an eye on him all day and the other half wants to just leave him there so he can settle in and become more himself! 😂🥲

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
All temps are checking out great I have a monitor under the basking spot and separate thermometers dotted around and a temp gun (sever anxiety of him being to cold) all temps are still great! So I’m pretty confident we have the right temps all round. But he’s got no interest in anything can barely keep his eyes open poor thing half of me wants to get him out and keep an eye on him all day and the other half wants to just leave him there so he can settle in and become more himself! 😂🥲
Sounds like you’re being a very vigilant owner which is lovely to see!
Yeah I understand wanting to get him out to watch him lol, but definitely better to let him settle under the heat, he can stay warmer in his enclosure which will help him fight off a possible RI, the more he can get used to his surroundings when he’s left to it as well😊fingers crossed once he’s finished his course and settled in more, he’ll start perking up🤞🏻

Shannon99

Wigan
Sounds like you’re being a very vigilant owner which is lovely to see!
Yeah I understand wanting to get him out to watch him lol, but definitely better to let him settle under the heat, he can stay warmer in his enclosure which will help him fight off a possible RI, the more he can get used to his surroundings when he’s left to it as well😊fingers crossed once he’s finished his course and settled in more, he’ll start perking up🤞🏻
Thank you! You are so helpful! I’m just hoping he can eat something soon he’s had one dandelion nearly a week ago just so worrying! 😂

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! You are so helpful! I’m just hoping he can eat something soon he’s had one dandelion nearly a week ago just so worrying! 😂
You say "All temps are checking out great", but exactly what are they? You should keep a steady temp of at least 29.5C (85F) throughout the enclosure day and night for a tortoise with a respiratory problem.

It wouldn't hurt to keep the tortoise a bit warmer, even up to 32C (90F). Also make sure you keep it well-hydrated by it soaking at least once daily for 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water.

The Fortaz is a good antibiotic and should help. It will usually take 5 doses (given every other day for severe RI and every third day for less severe RI) to be truly effective.

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Zovic said what I was going o say, and I'll add that I like to put sick ones in smaller 'hospital' tanks. I have a couple 10 gallon aquariums for this purpose. It's easier to maintain the 85-90° temperature in the small tank. And since he's not doing anything but sleeping (like YOU would be doing if you were in hospital), he doesn't need a lot of space. And you can cover him up with dried leaves.

Shannon99

Wigan
You say "All temps are checking out great", but exactly what are they? You should keep a steady temp of at least 29.5C (85F) throughout the enclosure day and night for a tortoise with a respiratory problem.

It wouldn't hurt to keep the tortoise a bit warmer, even up to 32C (90F). Also make sure you keep it well-hydrated by it soaking at least once daily for 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water.

The Fortaz is a good antibiotic and should help. It will usually take 5 doses (given every other day for severe RI and every third day for less severe RI) to be truly effective.

Good luck.
Apologies i didn’t go in to the temps as on my post yesterday I’d gone through all my temps with littleredfootbigredheart. We do do warm soaks daily for 30 minutes. We are doing every 3rd day so next one will be Friday morning. Just wanted to know if there’s anything I should be looking out for or when I’m expecting to see some improvement? Thank you

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Apologies i didn’t go in to the temps as on my post yesterday I’d gone through all my temps with littleredfootbigredheart. We do do warm soaks daily for 30 minutes. We are doing every 3rd day so next one will be Friday morning. Just wanted to know if there’s anything I should be looking out for or when I’m expecting to see some improvement? Thank you
Yeah they probably meant it won’t hurt for your current temps to just be a tiny bit higher whilst he’s got this potential RI, it can help them fight it, all in all though your temps sounded good to me from what I remember in your previous post.
Generally speaking, improvement wise you should start to see him become more active once he’s finished his meds, then eventually start eating again.
Some things to look out for in the event he’s not improving, is making sure his eyes look clear, ie not weeping, no bubbles, making sure he doesn’t appear to be gasping or anything like that, no mouth bubbles, and no nose discharge, just keep an eye out for those kind of symptoms and inform the vet should they appear

Wendyjo

New Mexico
Hello,
My sulcata baby had a respiratory infection and a calcium deficiency when I first got him. Saw the vet and got calcium shots and antibiotic injections. The vet also tube fed him. He was about 2.5 ounces, wasn’t eating or moving when he first got sick. After an overnight with the vet I brought him home and gave antibiotic injections at home and also cranked up the heat to 100. He still wasn’t doing great so I took him back to the vet for another tube feeding. Brought him back home and continued the antibiotic shots, kept the heat cranked, and continued soaks. At least once a day I soaked him in Gerber baby food organic carrots mixed with warm water. I also soaked him a few other times a day as well. My baby really enjoyed kale prior to being sick so I tried feeding kale, dandelion greens, romaine and red leaf lettuce cut up small an powdered with calcium powder and reptile vitamins and also gave him turtle eye drops. I kept this up for at least a month and my baby slowly began getting better. After a year and a half he is close to three pounds and doing great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sulcata baby had a respiratory infection and a calcium deficiency when I first got him. Saw the vet and got calcium shots and antibiotic injections. The vet also tube fed him. He was about 2.5 ounces, wasn’t eating or moving when he first got sick. After an overnight with the vet I brought him home and gave antibiotic injections at home and also cranked up the heat to 100. He still wasn’t doing great so I took him back to the vet for another tube feeding. Brought him back home and continued the antibiotic shots, kept the heat cranked, and continued soaks. At least once a day I soaked him in Gerber baby food organic carrots mixed with warm water. I also soaked him a few other times a day as well. My baby really enjoyed kale prior to being sick so I tried feeding kale, dandelion greens, romaine and red leaf lettuce cut up small an powdered with calcium powder and reptile vitamins and also gave him turtle eye drops. I kept this up for at least a month and my baby slowly began getting better. After a year and a half he is close to three pounds and doing great.
Yes, it takes real dedication to stick with it and get them well.

Shannon99

Wigan
Aw great !! So glad he’s doing better and putting weight on will give your suggestions a try! Thank you 🙏 x

Shannon99

Wigan
Also just wondering what the benefits are to mixing the organic carrot baby food with warm water? I am definitely going to give it a go just intrigued to know the reasoning behind it? X

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Also just wondering what the benefits are to mixing the organic carrot baby food with warm water? I am definitely going to give it a go just intrigued to know the reasoning behind it? X
Some nutrients, like vitamin A are absorbed through the skin and from cloaca - that's the explanation I've found so far. This helps to "perk up" the tortoise who is too weak to eat on its own (the primary symptom is swollen eyes due to vitamin A deficiency). Sometimes it helps to boost appetite for tortoises who don't eat but not yet in the critical condition.

Wendyjo

New Mexico
The vitamins in the carrot baby food supposedly are absorbed during the soaks with the water. I read about it somewhere on the internet and asked my vet about it. My vet said she had heard of it and said she couldn’t be sure it would work but said to go ahead and try it can’t hurt. I feel like it did some good. I also saw something about adding pedialite to the water. I tried it but it seemed like my tortoise didn’t like it. The eye drop vitamins run down my tortoise’s face and get in his mouth; my vet thought this would be helpful in the treatment. Good luck with your baby!!!

Shannon99

Wigan
The vitamins in the carrot baby food supposedly are absorbed during the soaks with the water. I read about it somewhere on the internet and asked my vet about it. My vet said she had heard of it and said she couldn’t be sure it would work but said to go ahead and try it can’t hurt. I feel like it did some good. I also saw something about adding pedialite to the water. I tried it but it seemed like my tortoise didn’t like it. The eye drop vitamins run down my tortoise’s face and get in his mouth; my vet thought this would be helpful in the treatment. Good luck with your baby!!!
Aw thank you, I do have some sort of nutriboost powder to put in his water which I have done every 3 days since getting him but will give the carrot thing ago over the weekend once the food shop comes ! 😂 thank you x

Wendyjo

New Mexico
Aw thank you, I do have some sort of nutriboost powder to put in his water which I have done every 3 days since getting him but will give the carrot thing ago over the weekend once the food shop comes ! 😂 thank you x
You’re welcome!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ah yes a carrot soak probably isn’t a bad shout to try here actually! I’ve read it can give them a little boost🥰 especially with him not eating yet

Shannon99

Wigan
I’m definitely going to try it! The vets gave me a critical feed to give him through a syringe upto 3 times a day! But trying to get him to open his mouth and get a little syringe in is absolutely impossible😂 so we’ve just had to give that one a miss!