Found a lost tortoise and took it back home..

AimanRazee

hi..so I found this quite big but not too big tortoise on the side of the road..so I took it back home ..I treated it with some mess I just bought from a pet store..I followed the instructions..so I tried to feed him yesterday an it refused to eat...same as today..it still refused to eat the lettuce tht I bought..I want to keep it..I don't want it to die...

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hello, if you post pictures we can help you identify what exactly you found, that is crucial for its care.
Depending on where you live it could even be a wild tortoise, or someone is missing their pet.

Not eating for a few days won't kill it, they can go quite some time without food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). We do need pics to know what you have. If it's a wild tortoise, native to where you live, it needs to be taken back to where you found it and let go in a safe spot. If it's someones pet, you need to try and find the rightful owner before just keeping it. Lettuce is a poor food source. However, without knowing what kind of tortoise you have, we really can't help much on food, but you do need to offer water in a dish that is easily accessible and uvb and heat. The sun will work best for the uvb and heat if your in an area that is warm enough to house outside until we can ID it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One more thing. Depending on where you are located, it is illegal to take some tortoises from the wild or to own without a permit.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Share a picture of the tortoise will be much easier for any of us to help. And Welcome to the forum.

M

Maggie Cummings

IF, it's a tortoise it can only digest food if it's insides are 80 degrees. So, if it's not 80, the animal won't eat. IF, it's a tortoise it's scared as all heck and if it's wild probably won't eat at all. If it's a water turtle it can only eat under water. So you see why we need a picture of him, so we can help better. Take his carapace and his plastron, face and welcome...

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
hi..so I found this quite big but not too big tortoise on the side of the road..so I took it back home ..I treated it with some mess I just bought from a pet store..I followed the instructions..so I tried to feed him yesterday an it refused to eat...same as today..it still refused to eat the lettuce tht I bought..I want to keep it..I don't want it to die...
Hello and welcome. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your tortoise.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

AimanRazee

sorry for the late reply

Attachments

• 10689617_752816244754505_7091081417159132559_n.jpg
    10689617_752816244754505_7091081417159132559_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 100

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Looks like you have a turtle on your hands and not a land tortoise......can you please offer a pic of the feet...and that is a wild animal, the shell is indicative of that...please offer this turtle an area that it can submerge itself into water...also, broccoli is not a natural food for a tortoise nor a turtle :D

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What is your country? It looks like an Indian black turtle to me, Scientific name: Melanochelys trijuga

But I don't know very much about turtles

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like it has already been said, that is a water turtle. They live in the water, only coming out to find a mate or lay eggs. They can't eat (bugs, etc.) unless they are in the water.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Like it has already been said, that is a water turtle. They live in the water, only coming out to find a mate or lay eggs. They can't eat (bugs, etc.) unless they are in the water.

Forgive me because I'm water turtle stupid but why is that anyways? Are they physically unable to eat unless they are in water or do they just prefer it and won't eat out if the water unless it's starving. I always tell people they can't eat unless I. Water but never understood why that was.... Just repeating that info.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Just a quick note. You probably already know this - but aquatic turtles need both - water to swim in and a dry place to get out of the water and bask at will.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Forgive me because I'm water turtle stupid but why is that anyways? Are they physically unable to eat unless they are in water or do they just prefer it and won't eat out if the water unless it's starving. I always tell people they can't eat unless I. Water but never understood why that was.... Just repeating that info.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

They don't have salivary glands. They are physically unable to swallow without the water.