Lost Opo, found Opo!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I have the fence a foot in the ground and didn't find any digging. I must have left a gate open. I will spy on him tomorrow.
I'm sure you will figure it out. With Saphire I do spy but he's so silly. He'll do things that tell me a bunch right in front of me too. If it was a gate, he'll probably be checking on it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'm sure you will figure it out. With Saphire I do spy but he's so silly. He'll do things that tell me a bunch right in front of me too. If it was a gate, he'll probably be checking on it.
This afternoon he was walking along the fence. So I waited till he got towards the front. I looked around the corner of the house. Rose had added another board to the bottom of the gate. With pails with rocks holding in place. He seemed interested in the new setup. Dont know if it was something different in the yard. Or that's the way he escaped it the gate wasn't latched.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This afternoon he was walking along the fence. So I waited till he got towards the front. I looked around the corner of the house. Rose had added another board to the bottom of the gate. With pails with rocks holding in place. He seemed interested in the new setup. Dont know if it was something different in the yard. Or that's the way he escaped it the gate wasn't latched.
He's probably trying to figure out how to scoot them where he needs them to be...little big brat...lol

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He's probably trying to figure out how to scoot them where he needs them to be...little big brat...lol
Yeah if Opo gets up before me and the screen door isn't open. He will knock the trashcan over,push Roses chair across the porch. Move her flip flops and knock the broom over.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow! Hope you have had a chance to calm down! Quite the scare, Two miles away? Put Opo on a shorter leash...grounded! ?
He had some red stuff on the side of his face. It looked like some kind of berry not blood. Soaked Opo and most came off. Fed him some cactus to see the inside of his mouth. No sores and the rest of the red came off. Now I have to worry he didn't eat anything poisonous. I know he ate fertilized grass but I don't think that will affect him.
Where the person who found him the area on Degroodt Rd. The landmarks that he explained are about 2 miles away. My cam on the screen porch showed Opo woke up at 8:25 am. So he had a 2 to 3 hour headstart. Rose feels bad because about 9AM she was on the phone on the porch talking to her family in the Philippines for about a hr. There is some much woods around. I am glad he didn't duck in somewhere to get out of the sun.

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Oh man, I'm so glad he's back home already! That's the second escape for Opo!

:oops::<3:
Yep, I have a feeling the gate wasn't latched. Rose blocked it yesterday. I was spying on Opo and he went over to the gate and checked things out. This morning I spied on him and he went over there again. Since we had the fence installed Opo really hasn't seen us go in and out of the gates. I don't think he knew they opened up so he didn't pay much attention to the gates. I will watch a few more days and see if he is still attracted to the gate.
The ring doorbell was a life saver. It was only about a 1/2 hr after posting I got the call. The person got home and showed pictures of Opo to his wife. She went on her ring app and saw the post about Opo.

Last edited:

KronksMom

Illinois
I'm so glad! one of my biggest fears is having Vlad go missing.

I'm glad you weren't in suspense for too long

I'm fairly confident Kronk was once someone else's pet. He was found in a park, fliers were posted, but no one ever came forward. Watching him, he loves to climb higher and higher, always trying to crest that next rise, figure out what's on the other side of EVERYTHING, always moving. So I worry about this often. That he will wander off in search of his next big adventure and get lost. I'm so happy your little boy found his way home eventually, Ray. Hopefully he hasn't developed too much wanderlust.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'm fairly confident Kronk was once someone else's pet. He was found in a park, fliers were posted, but no one ever came forward. Watching him, he loves to climb higher and higher, always trying to crest that next rise, figure out what's on the other side of EVERYTHING, always moving. So I worry about this often. That he will wander off in search of his next big adventure and get lost. I'm so happy your little boy found his way home eventually, Ray. Hopefully he hasn't developed too much wanderlust.
Thanks, every morning he goes to the gate on the left side of the house. The gate must have been left open.