Found on City Streets- Trying to identify and care for the night

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
You found a slider turtle! You can give him enough water to swim in and a place to climb out of the water. he'll also want a heat lamp basking area on dry land. he might eat pellets but more likely an earthworm or similar

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Thanks Josh! I'm somewhat familiar with tortoise stuff, but I'm so worried b/c he was out in a heatwave :( Ya know how sometimes giving too much of a needed thing ( food or water ) can make a sick animal worse. I'm just worried I'll mess him up overnight because he doesn't seem to be in good shape.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
just keep him warm and wet. not submerged is ok if you're worried he's weak and might drown. some wet moss and a heat pad and a quiet dark place to relax might be best?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Josh. You can use a cinder block for the basking area and bring the water level up close to level with it. You can do this outside so the tortoise can warm up in the sun, but be careful to always have shade available so the turtle doesn't over heat. Check the water temperature to make sure you aren't making turtle soup. It should be dark at night, and its fine if it cools at night.

This type of turtle has to be in the water to eat, so it isn't going to eat in your dry tub there.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
I agree with Josh. You can use a cinder block for the basking area and bring the water level up close to level with it. You can do this outside so the tortoise can warm up in the sun, but be careful to always have shade available so the turtle doesn't over heat. Check the water temperature to make sure you aren't making turtle soup. It should be dark at night, and its fine if it cools at night.

This type of turtle has to be in the water to eat, so it isn't going to eat in your dry tub there.
Great! Thanks. It's almost 1 am where I am. I didn't want to go to bed the wrong way.