Found tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's an eastern box turtle - Terapene carolina carolina. If the eastern box turtle is native to your area, it is probably a wild turtle and should be returned to the location where you found it.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
It could be a Eastern carolina but if you are along the gulf coast it is more likely to be Terrapin carolina major or the Gulf Coast Box Turtle.

The flare carapace on the back is more exaggerated than other Terrapin carolina species, and the skin and shell favors a dark brown color. I see both in this photo.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. He's in my backyard voluntarily. There's a pond out back and he comes up for food and hangs out. I was just curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It could be a Eastern carolina but if you are along the gulf coast it is more likely to be Terrapin carolina major or the Gulf Coast Box Turtle.

The flare carapace on the back is more exaggerated than other Terrapin carolina species, and the skin and shell favors a dark brown color. I see both in this photo.

Sorry, but this is NOT a gulf coast box turtle. I am absolutely positive it IS an Eastern box turtle - terrapene carolina carolina.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What a beauty! It's native and it's happy. You'll probably find it every year. Be careful when you mow the grass, there may be others.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Nice little guy

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, like johnsonbowell said, please be careful! He is pretty! He must like your yard to hang around :D